Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

anyone ever upgrade their Dell?

• Please log in to reply

EGD Eric

EGD Eric

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm just curious about this. I heard that Dell makes it hard for users to upgrade their computers with non-Dell parts; is this true? I ask because I just bought the Dlink airplus-G wireless adapter (not a Dell product), and had a [bleep] of a time installing it. According to the instructions, when the computer boots up, you're supposed to get the "found new hardware" wizard, but that hasn't happened.

Advertisements

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi,

The only difference between a Dell pc and a 'normal' pc is the motherboard & psu, so you should be able to upgrade them just like any other.
Another upgrade prob which is occuring more & more on Dell pcs, is that if the graphics card is onboard in the original specs of the pc, there is no agp/pci express slot to upgrade the graphics. (only pci)

Other than this, any other hardware/software should install the same as any other pc, so I cant tell you why you had such a prob installing your wireless adapter.

Armic

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
hum.. is it internal or external???
well.. that doesnt really mater.. welll try going to

right click MY COMPUTER and scroll down to MANAGE.. and click
device manager.. see if you find your adaptor....
if you do.. click on INSTALL DRIVERS...
yea.. and basicly follo the steps on the wizard.. and it should install...

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 10 January 2007 - 02:13 PM.

EGD Eric

EGD Eric

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
that's the problem though, I can't see my wireless adapter in device manager. I tried: "scan for hardware changes" to no avail.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. How does it connect? When the computer is off, plug it in and then turn the computer on. If you don't see anything, then try the hardware wizard again. Is this internal or external? It will help us provide you with more accurate information. Do you need to install any drivers or software before you plug it in?

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
also. make sure that it is even compatible with your computer...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can go to the dlink website or the FTP site, ftp://ftp.dlink.com and maybe find drivers for it, or at least some info. Some hardware installs by an executable which when run allows the machine to recognize the hardware and install the drivers.

Zayness

Zayness

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I didn't have any problem installing the d-link to my dell or the wireless card to our gateway & other dell. What series dell do you have? Mine is about 4 yrs old. Anyway I also installed a sony dvd/rom player in it too & it works fine. It should definately came up with found new hardware if you put the dlink in it right. Did you snap it in tight enough? Sometimes it seems like they are but they are not snapped in all the way. Good luck with it & hope you can get it to work. I just upgraded our wireless card in ours too & took out the old & put in a newer faster one & it also worked fine. I got the DIR-625 router & wireless from d-link.

EGD Eric

EGD Eric

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I took it (the card)out, reinstalled the software, then shut down, then installed the card back into my machine. That did it. Guess what I did wrong?

installed the software
rebooted
then installed the card into my machine.

Apparently, that's the wrong way to do it. You're supposed to shut down, not restart. Didn't help that the install program for the drivers had 'restart my computer' as default! (And in spanish besides)

Thanks all.