Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nicecast - Help me with my router

• Please log in to reply

Monkeystyle

Monkeystyle

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, is there anyone who can help me with my Router problem? My router is a BT Voyager 205 and here is my problem :tazz:

I'm trying to use nicecast to broadcast my music over the net using itunes but my router is stopping people from receiving my music. How can I resolve this? Computers can't access my computer. It has nothing to do with my firewall either. Can anyone help me? Thanks for your time...

Advertisements

Monkeystyle

Monkeystyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is what the FAQ off the Nicecast Website told me to do but I don't have AirPort so I need it translated to help me with my router:

Router Port Mapping/Port Forwarding/Virtual Server Overview (Example using AirPort Base Station)
1. Open up the admin software on your router. For an AirPort Base Station, you'll use the AirPort Admin Utility, found in /Applications/Utilities.
2. Find the port mapping configuration panel (which may instead be named port forwarding or virtual servers, depending on your router). In Airport Admin Utility, select your Base Station, click Configure, then click the Port Mapping tab.
3. Add a new port mapping to the machine on your LAN which is doing the broadcasting. You'll need to map public port 8000 to private port 8000, on the machine's LAN IP. In AirPort Admin Utility, click Add, put port 8000 in the two port fields and the IP of the machine which will be broadcasting in the Private Address field. Click Ok, then click Update. Note that this forwarding only needs to be TCP, you can leave UDP alone.

Details
A router takes traffic from the Internet and sends it to your LAN. The machine which is running Nicecast needs to receive all the requests for port 8000 (by default) which are coming in from the Internet. Port forwarding/port mapping/virtual servering allows this traffic to go where it's needed, so listeners can connect to your stream.

I UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS ON THE VOYAGER.HOME website but I need this FAQ translated so I can apply it to my router. Is it possible? If it is...A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU!!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, what you need to do is to go to the admin panel on your router. typically its 192.168.1.1. loging with your admin password. you should have something like port fowarding/port triggering option on one of your tabs/pages.

please let me know if you can get this far. I may have to direct you to somewhere else that has better info on the BT router setup if you are not able to.

once your there its a simple matter to forward port 8000 to your pc's ip address. just let me know if port forwarding is available and I can walk you through the rest.

Monkeystyle

Monkeystyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for your quick reply! I tried to do this myself the other day, but there doesn't seem to be any folder or tag for port forwarding or port triggering. These are the options I have to choose from:

ADSL

- ATM VC
- PPP
- EOA
- IPoA

IP Addressing

- IP Address
- DHCP Mode
- DHCP Server

IP Routing

- NAT
- DNS
- Bridging
- IP Route
- IP Address Table

Security Config

- IP Filter
- Intrusion Protection
- Access Control
- Management Control

System Config

- Reset
- Upgrade
- Backup Config
- System View
- Time

Do these help? Another quick question: A friend tried to access my broadcast but was unable to. Could her firewall prevent her from accessing my stream? See I don't know if its her computer or my router. I'm trying to eliminate the problems one by one...thanks for your help anyway!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, under nat make sure NAT is set to Enabled.

what is you router set up for under the dhcp mode and dhcp server?

what options are under IP Route?

is there an option anywhere to set your local pc to be in the "dmz"?

starjax

Monkeystyle

Monkeystyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Right,

This is what I've got: NAT is enabled and I also have the option of changing it to Nat Virtual Server/DMZ. So when I change to that option it says there is no NAT Rules! So if I go into the add menu this is what I get:

NAT Rule Information

Rule Flavor:
Rule ID:
Protocol:
LAN IP Address:
Destination Port:
Local Port:

All these are blank and ready to be filled in. Now, my router is set up like so in the dhcp server option:

Start IP Address End IP Address Domain Name Gateway Address Status Action(s)
192.168.1.3 192.168.1.34 192.168.1.1 Enabled Edit Delete Detail

I can add to this, and when I do these come up:

DHCP Server Pool - Add

DHCP Pool Information
Start IP Address:
End IP Address:
Mac Address: : : : : :
Netmask:
Domain Name:
Gateway Address:
DNS Address:
SDNS Address:
SMTP Address:
POP3 Address:
NNTP Address:
WWW Address:
IRC Address:
WINS Address:
SWINS Address:

Now the options under IP Route are: Add and refresh. There is just a table of commonly accessed internet sites' IP Routes.

Does this help at all? I hope it does - thank you for your time anyhow...Thanks again for your help. :tazz:

Monkeystyle ;)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ack. and I though SBC's speedstreem modem/router setup was screwy. BT's takes the cake.

ok, I will tell you in plain english what you need to do. once you do that you may actually have to call or look on BT's website for more info.

what you want to do is set you pc in the dmz. with a linksys router you would normally select dmz and specifiy the ip that your pc is getting. for example 192.168.1.100.

so here is my best stab at it:
set nat to vs/dmz:
create the following:
Rule Flavor:dmz
Rule ID:
Protocol:tcpip
LAN IP Address:ip of your pc
Destination Port:
Local Port:

I am not real solid on these settings. be nice if they just provided the modem and you were able to use a nice simple linksys or netgear router. I'll do some looking around over the weekend. worst case scenerior is that they all have a reset switch and you will probably be talking to BT at that point anyway.

hmmmmm.

Starjax

Monkeystyle

Monkeystyle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for trying to help anyway. I tried what you said but it said Error - missing perimiter. I've tried BT already, but you know what they're like: give them a difficult task that makes them actually work and they can't handle it. Anyway, thank you for your help. I know you know what you're talking about - but with so many different routers it's hard to pinpoint a certain problem. ;)

Anyway, this is what happened when I filled in the spaces:

If I pick the DMZ option, there are only a few spaces to fill -

Rule Flavor:
Rule ID:
LAN IP Address:

If I pick the Virtual Server option my spaces look like this:

Rule Flavor:
Rule ID:
Protocol:
LAN IP Address:
Destination Port:
Local Port:

So I filled in what you said and this is the message I get:

Fails to perform the specified action...
Error: Mandatory parameter not specified

There are two IP Addresses - Me and my router right? I put in my address, but it still doesn't work.

Anyway, thank you for your help - if you feel you can't do anything else, don't be afraid to tell me. It's not a big deal, I just thought it would be cool to broadcast my music. One thing we could try is picking an exact date and time and I'll broadcast and you see if you can pick it up. The program allows me to see if you're connected or not. I've tested it within my LAN and it works, but I've never had anyone from outside listening in.

Anyway, just a thought...

Thanks for the help you've put in... :tazz:

Monkeystyle ;)