Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound problems

• Please log in to reply

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi everyone, Im having some sound issues...

Ive just reinstalled windows xp and appear to have no sound.

My sound card is a creative labs audigy sb0090 sound blaster. Ive searched for a driver on the internet and have apparently installed it but to no avail. If I run dxdiag, under the sound section there is nothing there, says no device installed.

Any ideas, Im dying to hear an answer! (poor pun I know)

cheers ash.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Two places to look to see if the computer even sees the card.

In All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System information, you should have in Components> Sound Device "Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) and some other information.

In Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Hardware tab>Click on device manager and then click the + sign next to sound, video and game controllers. There among the legacy devices you should have a "Creative SB Audigy"

If you do not have anything in either place then you have no drivers installed for the sound card. Here is the correct drivers of the audigy.

http://us.creative.c...port/downloads/

The good thing is that Creative is good about having the model type printed on the card somewhere so you can pick out the right drivers. I have a standard Audigy in one computer and a Audigy SE in another.

If you do have those in device manager, and system info, your audigy card may be dead. First check the speakers and wires to make sure all connections are good. Try a different set of speakers. Make sure the audigy card is in the slot correctly and a nice tight fit in the PCI slot. Perhaps even try another slot if possible.

Another thought is maybe you have on-board sound and the computer has reverted to it. You can check in the BIOS to see if it is disabled. To get to the BIOS keep hitting the "delete" key( most computers) while the computer is booting up. A blue window will come up. Use the "arrow keys" to navigate and the "enter" key to open up areas( new windows). The" Esc" key is used to get out of the windows and BIOS. You will need to go looking until you find where it says on-board sound. It should say it is disabled. If not use the arrow keys to highlight it in BLUE and hit the enter key. Again use the arrow keys to change the value to disabled. Esc out and Esc out to the main BIOS window. Usually hitting F10 will save the settings and then the computer should boot back into windows. Test your sound card then making sure the speakers are plugged into the right place (usually color coded, light green for speakers). Let us know what you find. i would also ask you what the file name is of the drivers you have.

SRX660

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Cheers for the reply SRX660, I've done all your suggestions and had nothing in either the device manager or the System information tabs.

This in mind I went to your link and downloaded the correct driver for the card. Ran it, and it said...

"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on you system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program"

If I go to add new hardware nothing is found, the cards properly inserted to the motherboard?

Anymore ideas?

Cheers again

Ash

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now is the time to replace the card because it has probably died. If you were living in my area i could check it in 5 minutes to see if it was working. I've had dozens of sound cards get destroyed by lightning strikes that have come thru the power lines.

Best price for a new one is here.

http://www.ewiz.com/...SCSB0570LP&c=pw

SRX660

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Fair enough I think a new sound card is the best course of action.

However one last thing, dont know if its relevant. I removed the card and booted normally. Nothing changed. I reinserted the card and when I booted again Windows found new hardware. However it could not find driers for them no matter where I looked. The devices are under "other devices" in the device manager and are:

Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI input device
Unknown device

Any ideas what they are or what I should do with them

Cheers again

Ash

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
OK, we will try a last ditch effort. First you will have to find where the installer installed any drivers, if any, for the creative card. Go thru explorer and go to your C> program files> and see if you have a creative folder there. My computer has about 35 MB's of files in different folders there. If you do not have this folder then creative drivers are not installed.

Perhaps a method is to go into device manager and right click on the unknown device. Then click on the properties see if there is a driver tab and click on it. Click on the update drivers button and see if you can manually go to where you have the drivers downloaded and try using them. It probably will NOT work but its worth a try. What bothers me is the computer cannot read the device as a sound card. Even without drivers installed the computer activity sounds like the startup sound usually work from the audigy card.

You did not say if you checked that the on-board sound was turned off in the bios. Did you check to see if the on-board sound worked when you pulled the audigy card out of the computer. Is there speaker connections in the back panel, where you plug in the monitor, for sound speaker plug's?

It looks like you don't even have the legasy drivers for onboard sound installed on your computer. Some sound drivers are included in the chipset drivers for the motherboard. You will have to see what your motherboard's manufacturer's website says about audio drivers.

A computer that i have here with on-board sound has these in device manager under sound, video and game controllers.

Audio Codecs
Legasy Audio Drivers
Legasy Video Capture Devices
media control devices
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Video Codecs

Now my computer with the Audigy card has these.

Audio Codecs
Creative Game Port
Creative SB Audigy
Legasy Audio Drivers
Legasy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

So you can see that no real drivers other than what windows has installed are there on your computer. I think its time to look in the BIOS to see if the on-board sound is disabled. Let me know and we will move on until this is solved.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 10 January 2007 - 10:12 AM.

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok, ive entered BIOS and nowhere does it mention an on board sound. The only things close are:

USB Legacy support - disabled
AC97 Audio - disabled

legacy drivers are installed my device manager says:

Audio Codecs
Creative Game Port
Game Port for Creative
Legacy Audio drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port
Video Codecs

I cant seem to get sound anywhere even if I plug the speakers in to the motherboard instead of the sound card!

Im very confused.

Ash

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Ok, now pull your Audigy sound card back out of the computer. Get back into the BIOS and go to the AC'97 audio and highlight it in blue with the arrow keys , then hit the enter key. A window will pop up where you can use the arrow keys to change it to enabled. Use the Esc key to escape out of that window, and again to escape back to the main window. Hit the F10 key and a window will popup asking it you want save your settings. Click yes and exit the BIOS and reboot back into windows. Plug the speaker wire into the light green port in the back of the computer and see if you have any sound. If you don't we can find the right sound drivers if we know what make and model the motherboard is. It may be a factory motherboard if the computer is a H-P, ompaq, or other factory built computer, so then you would download sound drivers from the makers website.

Once we establish that the onboard sound works we can then try finding out whats wrong with the Audigy sound. What i am trying to do here is make sure it is not a motherboard problem causing the NO sound issue. I have seen many times when it was the motherboard that was the problem.

SRX660

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok done this and still no sound, mother board is:

Gigabyte
GA-8IHXP
Rev 3.0
P4 titan 533

Thats all the info i can gather from it.

Ash

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm still stuck SRX660,

Please help.

Ash

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry, i have been out of town for 3 days.

Here are the drivers for your sound card. Please download them and try them to see if your on-board sound will work.

http://www.gigabyte....b...&FileID=817

If this still does not work, please go back in and disable the on-board sound in the BIOS. You will now go to the Creative website and download( do not install YET) the creative Audigy sound drivers from here.

http://us.creative.c...d...p;x=23&y=16

Hit the agree button at the bottom of the next page to get to the download page.Download the file there called SBA_PCDRV_LB 1.04.0061.exe.

Once the onboard sound is disabled and you have downloaded the Audigy sound drivers you can turn off the computer, and reinstall the Audigy sound card in a different slot than what it was in the last time the card was installed in the computer. When windows sees the hardware and asks you for drivers, cancel it out and go back to the desktop. Now you will run the exe file you downloaded to install the Audigy sound drivers. Once the drivers are installed, restart the computer, plug in the speaker connection to the audigy light green port, and the sounds should work. Check it by playing a song on a music CD. If you still do not hear any sounds the sound card is probably dead and needs replacing. When you are plugging in the speakers and you have the sound volume loud enough you should hear some static when trying to plug them in. This is quite noticeable.

SRX660

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
EUREKA. In the end it was drivers for the chipset i needed (as well as the motherboard drivers). Anyway I have sound now and all is good.

Thanks very much for all your help SRX660,

Ash.