Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Someone Please Help! My computer wont log on!

• Please log in to reply

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

When I turn on the computer, I get this message:

Windows could not start becaue the following file is missing or corrupt:
/windows/system32/config/system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cdrom.
Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

The problem is my system came with XP embedded and there was no backup/setup disk at all.
It doesn't do anything when I press "r". I don't get any other screen or options. What can I do? I only have this laptop on loan for a little while.

Before you do anything, please post the Make Model and specifics of your computer {ex: Dell, Model 123, 512RAM, 2,2Ghz processor). Sometimes name brand computers have hidden partitions that act as Recovery CDs. Also certain name brands will allow you to order Recovery CDs for the cost of shipping.
If you need to recovery data from a corrupted hard drive or partition you can use a Live Linux like Puppy Linux to data. Live Linux flavors allow you to load them into RAM and burn data to a fresh CD. It is not hard and you can have your data accessible minutes after acquiring a Live Linux CD (It's free too).

Advertisements