Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i need to know if DX9.0 graphic card will be compatible with DX10 game

• Please log in to reply

mrhunta

mrhunta

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
For example if i have a DX9 graphic card will i be able to run and play all the computer games that use DX10 Or will i have to buy a DX10 card to run all the games that use DX10?. Ive been told that DX9.0 will run all DX10 games but it wont look pretty but im not sure what that mean will the graphics not be compatble or somhing or was what he said just false?.

If a DX9.0 graphic card can Run games that use DX10 dous it matter if the cards AGP or PCI-E or will they both be able to run DX10 games>?

Edited by mrhunta, 09 January 2007 - 06:42 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Many games coming out in 2007 will have DX10, however all of which are backwards compatible as there won't be a large enough market till 2008 when the majority of games if not all will be DX10 compatible only.
Microsoft is giving a update out for DX9.0 gamers to DX9.0L from the current DX9.0c version. This'll make the graphics cards out there more efficient at their job. However like you have already mentioned, when you are playing a game in DX9.0 it won't have all the bells and whistles running as it would if its DX10 compatible and you have the appropriate GPU (currently the only one on the market is the 8800 series from Nvidea).
If you are planning on buying a DX10 compatible graphics card, wait till ATI releases their graphics card around vista, but it may be as late as march (they havn't said an exact date at this point in time).
AGP and PCI-E are a completely different subject, DX10 and DX9 has everything to do with the card itself and not the attachement to the motherboard :whistling:
Hope this helps
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2007 - 08:27 PM.