Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quake 4 running slow?

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, ive just built my new computer, installed Quake 4 expecting something amazing to happen. but when it FINALLY laoded up and i got to play, it was sooooooooo slow, so bad i cant even play.

my computer is an AMD athlon 64 2.4, 1GB DDR2 ram, asus Geforce 7600gs silent 512mb.

surely this should run properly, even on full setings?

please help me here, has my time and money all been in vain?

many thanks bob

Advertisements

nojs

nojs

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
So when you have a new computer it means you also have a fresh windows installed

Try to update your drivers for you graphic card, don't forget to look for Quake updates

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, i got the new graphics drivers from nvidia, but should it really take so long to load?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Full settings on quake 4 when it was released no card could even play, you needed the best SLI rig to run it, 7600 is more of a medium with a couple of things on high card, and it can take a while to load levels, try turning down the res if its especially high or lowre some settings, you wont manage any AA.

nojs

nojs

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Full settings on quake 4 when it was released no card could even play, you needed the best SLI rig to run it, 7600 is more of a medium with a couple of things on high card, and it can take a while to load levels, try turning down the res if its especially high or lowre some settings, you wont manage any AA.

Yes, you are right there :whistling:

But I think (not sure) that the highest settings only start when you start to play
so not when you boot the game. But i can be wrong offcourse.

@ fortuitous:

i would try to change the settings to the lowest as possible:

so graphics low, shadow low , etc : resolution 800 * 600
When you boot the game and it loads alot faster, you can change it untill it goes perfect.

I'm not a professional, i try to help :blink:

nojs