Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dissecting Hard drive.. Good idea or not?

• Please log in to reply

bob da builder

bob da builder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys ,

i have a toshiba satellite notebook and recently i dropped it. When i dropped it the hard drive popped out along with the screws of the cover of the HD. quite recently when i pluggd the HD it started working for 20 min (the windows screen came up and i logged in.. everything looked fine). i tried to plug it in again and it didn't work so i opened a few screws of the HD and peeked a little inside and then i refrained from opening it completely because i realized i should have prior knowledge before acting.
so now when i turn the power of my pc the windows pc doesnt even show up or anyting..

so my question is that when i peeked inside the HD could somemthing like a spring or the Disk get ruined. Is it possible to dissect this laptop HD without destroying it. I cannot pay expensive recovery for it but i need the data if i can get it by paying fewer than $150. please tell me what you think is best to do

here is the info. about the drive.
It is a fujitsu.
Model MHV2040AH
PART NO. CA06531-B250000T
SER. NO. NT43T55255BS

here are 2 links imp. links in which i am trying to find my answer.
http://www.fujitsu.c...aint-manual.pdf
http://www.fujitsu.c.../mhv2120ah.html

Thanks,

Bob

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in generall...opening a hard drive has a VERY high possibility of ruining the device....i would assume that when you dropped the laptop and the drive "popped out" (and i assume by screws you meant the screws that hold the HD together and not the screws that hold it into the laptop?) that something broke...probably a read/write head or something like that..given the description...the drive is probably toast

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
yea.. your HD is most likey toast since any dust on a disk on a HD will ruin it.. i think it is possible to recover the data if you bring it to a professional such as a electronics store.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Opening the hard drive yourself in a normal environment will almost certainly kill the data on it, if it isn't totally dead already.

If the drive has suffered a mechanical failure, then the only solution is to send it away for professional data recovery in a special environment, possibly for weeks on end with no guarantees at the end of it.