Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble using programs that need the internet

• Please log in to reply

killerbee

killerbee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a DSL internet connection and I'm able to use this connection for Mozilla Firefox; however, all the other programs I have that need an internet connection can't connect to the internet. These programs include Internet Explorer, AIM, iTunes Store, etc. I've tried turning off my firewall briefly, closing my antivirus temporarily, but none of that works. I think it's a setting issue but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check your LAN settings in Internet Explorer's options.

The following applies to both IE6 and IE7:

1. Open IE and click Tools>Internet Options.
2. Click the 'Connections' tab.
3. Click 'LAN Settings'
4. The tick-box at the bottom for "Use a proxy server for your LAN" should in most cases NOT be ticked. If it is, untick it.
5. Click 'OK' to save any changes you've made.
6. Close IE then re-open it to see if it now works.

Edited by pip22, 10 January 2007 - 09:13 AM.

killerbee

killerbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot, I can't believe I didn't even think about checking that. However, some other programs are still not able to connect to the internet...