Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't access data from old hard drive

• Please log in to reply

BobbieBoucher

BobbieBoucher

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My problem is that I had a laptop previously and I had it set up for 2 users. One was for general family use and the other was for work. The laptop crashed but I was able to save the hard drive and I installed it in an a device which let me hook it up as an external hard drive through the USB port. I can now access the family user files as it was not password protected when I logged on but the one I had set up for work was password protected and I can't seem to find any of those files. Is there any way to access these files now that my old hard drive is being used as an external one for my new computer?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you mean you can't open the folder where the files are, or that you have searched for the files and they aren't found?

If it's the first, look at Microsoft article 308421.

That should help, but if not, post back.

BobbieBoucher

BobbieBoucher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's the second one. I can't even locate where the files are as they seem to been hidden somewhere.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you searched for the file names? Are you looking for files saved under a specific user name in Documents and Settings?

BobbieBoucher

BobbieBoucher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I finally found the file and was able to access it in safe mode. I appreciate the help

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
No problem :whistling: