Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will my computer bottleneck this graphics card 7800GS.

• Please log in to reply

mrhunta

mrhunta

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Im gonna Use a GeForce 7800 GS with this Rig Will it work without bottlenecking?. Thanks

CPU type Intel pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)

Motherboard Name Intel la crosse D865GLC (3 PCI, 4 DIMM, AUDIO, Video, LAN)

Motherboard chipset Intel springdale-G i865G

1536 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Its hard to really tell, while you do have a older CPU. It should be enough so that bottlenecking won't be much of an issue if any issue at all. When it comes to bottle necking of the GPU, its only really the CPU that has an effect on this, unless you have AGP, PCI, PCIx4 instead of PCI-E, but the effects should still be minimal as the full pipeline of PCI-E has yet to be used to its full potential. While i can't tell you for sure to what extent the CPU may bottleneck it, you may be interested in the series of reviews that tomshardware is currently publishing on the internet. Here is the first of the series.
http://www.tomshardw...tform-analysis/
while the article does review AGP cards, if you have PCI-E it'll still give you a generall idea of what to expect. Currently however, from what i have seen bottlenecking isn't that extreme. Unless you had a full GHz(or more) less then what you say you currently have. In the end, you should be fine, but I or anyone else for that matter could never really tell you to what extent you may or may not experience with bottlenecking. Also the future reviews in that series at tomshardware should be more benchmarks with the same GPU and different CPU's, it is there we will really see whether this is a larger or lesser issue from what we originally thought. Because at the moment, it's more or less speculation, there is little evidence to back it up. It does however make alot of sense of why this would happen.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 January 2007 - 04:28 PM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It also varies greatly depending on the game. Some games are GPU dependant while others are more CPU dependant. So, while in some games you may not experience any bottlenecking at all, others you may. However, in general, most games are much more dependant on a strong GPU so you shouldn't experience issues very often.