Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL INSPIRON 1150

• Please log in to reply

Titus

Titus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hello. i have two identical dell inspiron 1150's and one's hd crashed so i got a new hd and reinstalled windows. well now the processor is running slow. Like when i go to system information it says
Intel®
Celeron® CPU 2.6GHZ
311MHZ, 512MB of RAM
this happened to me once before but i cannot remember how to fix it and it wasnt with a dell computer... Anyways the problem is the cpu gets overworked by menial tasks, like opening task manager will get the cpu usage to 100% for like 5min. Let me know if you have any ideas. thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
How do you know the CPU is runnung slow?
2.6Ghz is correct for that laptop model.
311Mhz refers to the speed of the bus, not the CPU.

Titus

Titus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
well i said i have 2 identical computers and the one that i am on now that is running smoothly, says:
Intel®
Celeron® CPU 2.6GHZ
2.6GHZ, 512MB of RAM
and this has happened to me before and after i fixed it the number before ram read what the cpu was supposed to run at

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You say they're identical, but what about processes? Do they have the same services starting at boot? Have you tried running any registry repair tools like Disk Defragmenter or CCleaner (for registry, not cleanup)? It's possible that a few registry corruptions are making the system slower.

Titus

Titus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no, i just installed windows on it yesterday. it is a brand new hd, the cpu is just running slow, i had this problem before and it was something wrong in the bios or with a jumper but laptops dont have jumpers and bios is gay with dells, do you think there is any way to fix it?

Titus

Titus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hey guys, dont even worry about it anymore, i just reformatted and it is all good now. thnks for all your help!