Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsk won't run on NTFS

• Please log in to reply

sloth88

sloth88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have been having lots of problems & various error messages, not really related to any specific change or event. I have defragged the pc (a gateway desktop), but the error checking program will not run. When I try to run chkdsk (have tried through several avenues, including running in safemode) I get the error chkdsk cannot run on on NTFS. I'm convinced there are errors here, but am not savvy enough to know how to get at them without this. I'd really hate to have to reload the OS and am not even sure this will resolve the issues. Any ideas of how to get around this and run chkdsk or something similar?

Edited by sloth88, 09 January 2007 - 11:23 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have xp cd

or did you try it this way

my computer
c drive
properties
tools
check now
check both boxes
start
then restart

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have tried the method you mentioned. I have also tried running from the command prompt. I have not used the XP CD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter

Do you get a box saying the drive is locked, type Y (and press enter) to run at next boot?

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have done this and gotten the response that the drive is locked. After researching some possible ways around this, I then typed in a different drive letter to activate it , instead of C, which should make C available. Unfortunately, thenI get the message that chkdsk cannot run on RAW drives (before the error said NTFS instead of RAW). I never get the prompt asking me if I want to run checkdisk at reboot. I'd be thrilled to get it, I just can't get to that point.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Very interesting...

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type fsutil dirty query c: (This queries the drive and will tell you if it is dirty or clean)

Let me know what it reports.

sloth88

sloth88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay, did it, but it says NOT dirty. Huh!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Arrg. :whistling:

This looks like possible file system corruption. Unfortunately I'm only vaguely aware of repairing such issues, and due to the risks involved, I don't feel comfortable trying to explain how to repair it...

However, we can try one more thing...

Put your XP CD into your CD drive and boot from it. When you are given the option, start the Recovery Console (by pressing R).

When you get to the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Let me know if it works there.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 January 2007 - 09:48 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
EDIT: Keith moved Bobby91's questions to his own thread, which is what my post was about.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 January 2007 - 09:44 AM.