Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with problem on first build. (no video)

• Please log in to reply

Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven

• Pip
  • 2 posts
As described in the topic title, I have just completed my first build but I can't do anything beyond that because I'm not getting a video signal to the monitor. There are no indications that anything is wrong with the setup.

I followed this link, http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html , for troubleshooting, but there was no change. I know for sure it's not a monitor issue. Tomarrow morning, I'll be testing whether or not it's the video card. Besides that, I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

System specs listed below.

Mobo-- ASUS M2N32-SLI DLX WIFI AM2
Video-- EVGA e-Geforce 7950 GT KO Superclocked 512MB
Processor-- AMD A64 X2 5000+
RAM-- 1GigX2 OCZ Platinum PC26400 (800Mhz)
HD-- 250Gig Seagate Barracuda (two)

Edited by Toaster Oven, 10 January 2007 - 12:04 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go, Toaster Oven,

According to the new build tutorial, exactly what have you done to test anything?
You know that if you get no BIOS beeps at all you need to check the memory also.
How far does it go?
Do fans start running?
Do the cdrom lights light up.
Are there any noises like the ticking sounds from the hard drive.
With the side cover off do the chipsets start to get warm?

The very first thing i do with any new build is get into the BIOS so i can see what the settings are. To do this i will hook up MB, Cpu&fan,Hard drive, 1 stick of memory, Keyboard, Mouse, a on/off switch( out of a old scrapped computer) and Monitor to a power supply. The motherboard i set on a pizza box and i try to not disturb any connections between video card and motherboard by moving things around. I will then try firing it up while hitting the delete key as fast and as many times as possible as i can. Some motherboards will just go into the bios automatically, but most won't( some intel's do).

If you get no activity at all( cpu fan) the motherboard is probably dead.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 10 January 2007 - 05:13 AM.

Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Everything seems normal about the computer at start-up except for nothing gets displayed on the monitor. The monitor stays in standby mode.

As far as the computer, the following turn on;
all of the case fans turn on
case lights
the cpu fan
the video card fan
I can hear the HD's for a few seconds immediately following power-up
The optical drive power light is on

The heat pipes on the board start to get luke warm after a couple of minutes of operation. The cpu heat sink, however, had no discernable increase in temperature as far as I could tell. There are no beeps to give an indication that something is wrong.

To rule out the RAM, both sticks of OCZ were used--one at a time, during start-up. In addition, a stick of Centon RAM was tested.

I have two system monitors, both of which were tested with this setup. They both were functioning with my prior setup.

I followed everything in the trouble shooting guide posted on this site except for pulling out the motherboard. I can see behind the board and nothing is touching the case and the board except for the lifters. If it comes down to it, I will pull it, but I really don't want to.

In ~1hr I will be able to test the video card, processor, and the rest of the components if needed. I am really hoping this isn't going to be a hardware problem.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From what you are saying here it probably is not any problem with the hardware except the Video card. If the computer even goes thru the motions of firing up the computer and the cdrom lights light up then goe off and you can hear noises it means the CPU, Memory, and HD, cdrom's, etc is working. The next thing to check is the video card. There should be some kind of video( even if its very poor quality because of drivers) If the video card is working at all.

SRX660