Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a home computer network

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up some sort of network in my house, because I want the 2 of our home computers to be able to use the same printer. I've seen this happen at school and other numerous places so I definetly know it must be pretty easy, but I don't know how to do it!

Thanks

Edited by Joeturf, 10 January 2007 - 12:46 AM.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ummmmm......Yeah, its become realitively simple with Windows to setup your home networking.

Check out my sig for the microsoft directed setup. The most important to make sure you do and what most ppl do wrong is that under Workgroup: you set the name the same for all computers on the network.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Joeturf
Is this 2 xp machines you are trying to set up? are they both home or pro?

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Bobbydoo8, I'll read that tonight and see if it helps!

And peterm, no unfortunately. I have one windows XP home and one windows 98 at my home, is this a bad thing?

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
No, the main problem would've been if you had a linux machine and a winxp machine because then you would have to go about this at a different way.

But Win98 and WinXP, in my opinion, are the 2 best operating systems(from Microsoft) to network because the setup is relatively simple.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok before you go mad trying to work this out there is one thing I notice on the web site you were pointed to and most network guides are the same. They have left out the step of where you have to either create a floppy disk for the 98 machine or run the xp disc in the 98 machine. This is to install a file that is needed.
You will need either a cross over cable to go from network card to network card or a hub or switch.
Then on the XP machine you run the network wizard which will ask you to create a disk for the 98 machine. If you do not have a floppy drive then you can put the XP cd into the 98 machine and run it from there when it starts you choose other from the list

To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.

• Run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer first. The host computer is the one that will share its Internet connection.

• During the Network Setup Wizard, it is recommended that you create a floppy disk to run the Network Setup Wizard on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium computers on your network.

• The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers using Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows XP.

If you do not have a floppy drive on the xp machine then you put the xp disc in the 98 machine.
When the disc starts choose the option Perform additional task> Setup a home or small office network.
Folow the prompts.
Any problems let me know.

Edited by peterm, 12 January 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Before we continue, I think we are all diverging on my meant question :whistling: .

Sorry if I've been unclear :blink: I'll explain it better below.

In my house, I have a XP Home computer on the first floor, and a Windows 98 upstairs. However, I don't want to buy one printer per computer, so I was hoping I could just have both computers use the downstairs printer. I've seen this in schools and businesses everywhere using one printer, so I was wondering if I could do the same in my house as well.

Sorry again for the confusion, my internet is already running on both computers, a wired connection for the XP and a wireless for the upstairs.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Joeturf
Yes I understand what you need.
You still have to get both computers talking to one another. Can the xp machine and the 98 see each other now.Are they both sharing the same Router/switch to the outside world. (this helps us understand the how things are wired). I am hoping you have a wirless router that takes the xp hard wired and supplies the wirless conection to the 98 machine. If the Xp and 98 machine do not see one another now then we have to do that as step 1.
Is the printer plugged in to the xp machine?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 13 January 2007 - 12:54 AM.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Alright thanks, that clears me up!

Well let's tackle the easiest question first, my printer is definetly connected to my XP computer downstairs!

And... yes my wired router connects to the XP computer and to the wireless router by something that looks like a phone wire and the wireless sends an internet connection to the Win98 upstairs. The wireless router is also connected to my XP computer by a cable that also looks like a phone wire!

Is everything correct so far? I hope so!!

Thanks

Edited by Joeturf, 13 January 2007 - 01:26 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok that sounds like a wireless modem/router(has a small areial)so does the network card on the 98machine. Can the 98 machine see the xp machine.
What make and model or modem/router
what make and model of printer

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Sorry for the delayed response. Anyway...

No, the 98 machine cannot see the XP machine, the 98 machine is upstairs while the XP is downstairs. My wireless router is A DI-524 by D-Link, and my printer is a hp psc 1210xi by Hewlett Packard

Edited by Joeturf, 16 January 2007 - 09:16 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok that is a wireless router goes to wireless network card in 98 machine.
So we still need to either run the network setup wizard to create a floppy for the 98 machine or if you have the XP cd then we need to put that in the 98 machine.
If you do not have a floppy drive on the xp machine then you put the xp disc in the 98 machine.
When the disc starts choose the option Perform additional task> Setup a home or small office network.
Follow the prompts.
Any problems let me know.
You have to get the files from xp on to 98 otherwise the 98 will NEVER talk to the XP. If you have the XP cd then use this method.
If you do not have the XP cd then you have to create the floppy to make the files.
If you have a concern then make a restore point on the xp machine 1st.
Do you know how to do this?
Cheers
Peterm

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I don't have the floppies.

Can you explain how to recreate one?

peterm

peterm