Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Volume Information Folder

• Please log in to reply

global_warning

global_warning

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have noticed that the system volume info. folder in my c drive is growing in size day by day
it has now reached 4.34 gb , i am seriously running out of space on c & it is also slowing my system
down. I wanted to know if it is safe for me to delete files from the folder, or if there is
a way to clean up useless files from it.
I would only like to keep the last 3 or 4 system restores if possible & delete the rest.
Would appreciate some advice.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Do you leave your computer on all the time? System restore makes a backup every 24 hours that the computer is on.

There are two ways you can clean system restore files. I highly don't recommend cleaning them manually, if that is even possible, because they are not named in such a way that we can understand.

Choose method #1 for deleting some system restore entries, or method #2 for deleting all of them:

1. Use Disk Cleanup. Go to Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Cleanup

After it is done scanning your computer, which may take a bit, click on the tab at the top that says More Options. Click on the button that says Clean Up... in the System Restore section. It should show an hour glass while it cleans, and then just return to a normal arrow when done (at least that's what it did for me just now).

2. Delete all system restore points:

A. Turn off System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click on My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click on the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
B. Restart your computer.

C. Turn ON System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click on My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click on the System Restore tab.
  • UNcheck Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
You may also want to consider a cleanup tool:

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as "Cleaner Settings", Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of "Internet Explorer", UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies).
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called "Windows Explorer."
  • Under the category of "System", UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called "Firefox", then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 10 January 2007 - 10:30 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Control Panel> System> System Restore> Settings
You can use the slider to change the size of the SR folder. The smaller the folder, the fewer restore points available, but I use 5% and have about 2 weeks worth. SR usually makes a new point during software installs and every 24 hours or so.
Johanna

global_warning

global_warning

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
thnx
the cleanup worked
have freed up 4.2 gs of space:)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Glad to hear it, and thanks for posting back and letting us know you adjusted it like you wanted it.
Johanna