Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory & PF

• Please log in to reply

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have been using an XP machine with 256MB of memory and during general surfing I noticed the PF usage was about 300MB.

I have installed more memory making 512MB and assumed that the PF use would go down, in fact it is about the same.

Is this correct, and should I increase the total page sizing area to 768MB being 1&half times actual memory..

Thank you

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi harry

I would like 2 help could u define of open the abriviation of PF?

Thanks

hary

hary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
That is Paging File usage.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Ok. I thought so but I wasn't sure.
These r tables on the hdd that u define the space it uses. It is used when the ram is full with temporary data the cpu sends the rest of the needed data to the hdd and there it is stored. When the OS system is installed it auoytomaticly defines 1.5 times the amount of ram. I don't know why exactly they decided this.

When u add ram cards to computer u r actually supplying more quick memmory so actually u should need the hdd less unless u r useing heavyer programs.

If u playd around allot u would have noticed a window pop up sometimes and say that u r out of virtual memmory. This ment that the MB that was defined for PF is full and the computer is expanding the area.

Now to define the memory u need. U dont really need to change the size that is already defined cause it probubly was never full. The fact that u were useing 300MB when only having 256MB means that it was allways writeing to the had drive. I'm sure u have allready noticd the difference. :blink:

U should know that when the cpu turns to the hdd to check the tables (even if they r empty) it is a waste of time cause the till the hdd replies even with a no data answer the cpu could b waiting instead of running. A frind of mine put gig of ram in the computer and canceled the PF. and It runs now much faster . :whistling: