Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I tell if the RAM will work with my mobo?

• Please log in to reply

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've got some old RAM kicking around which I'm thinking about putting in a budget build. Will it work with the mobo if it has the correct number of pins or is there more to it than that? Thanks. (BTW. I have tried looking on the company's (Samsung's) website but they don't seem to have a memory compatiblity utility like other companies)

Edited by dancingcleo, 10 January 2007 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
there should be a sticker on the ram module. type that number in on google, it will eventually take you to the specs of that stick. now the boardyour gonna put it in, be sure its the same socket (sd, ddr, ddr2, etc) also make sure the board supports that much and the speed (pc2100, pc3200, etc)

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
So as long as its the same socket and compatible speed and amount it should work?

Edited by dancingcleo, 11 January 2007 - 02:36 AM.

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What kind of motherboard are you planning on using in the build. Go to google with the Motherboard info and you should be able to find out what kind of ram it uses. I.E. ddr,ddr2, etc. As long as you are using the right kind of ram like the whole ddr, ddr2 thing, it's kinda of hard to go wrong. The site should give you the pin connector info. Just write down the kind of ram it is, the pin #, and double check that your motherboard will support the amount of ram you wish to install. Hope this helps.