Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wife knows every move !

• Please log in to reply

pitts

pitts

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Here's my situation. I have windows xp pro. My wife is nosy. Almost every night when I go to work my wife checks to see what I have done on the computer while she has been at work all day. She knows every picture, video, and file that I have looked at that day. Nothin on the internet, just files accessed on the computer. Every CD, DVD that has been inserted in my burner. Every file that has been clicked on. How does she do this? I'm not doing anything that she cares about, it's just something she holds over my head to make her seem like a computer geek and me a computer NOT geek. Help please....

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if your asking to clean your computer

help is available

there are some cleaners out there

also heres a tip dont save pictures or download them

they only take up disk space

when they come in on the web site your accessing

just browse through them

go to control panel and click on internet options

on the general tab delete files and cookies and offline web pages

or go to all programs >>accesseries>>system tools>>disk cleaner>>click on it and clean your disk

if you want to clean history and drop menu or web pages that you visited then download and install internet 7 it can be found here

http://filehippo.com...ternet_explorer

it can clean all windows

on ie7 go to tools and internet options and general tab and delete

you will be given your options of what you want to delete

pitts

pitts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It's not things from the internet that I'm talkin about. I know how to do those things u suggested. I'm talkin about our digital pictures we have on our hard drive already. If I open up a folder and click on a picture, she's can tell me what I have looked at. If I load a CD, she can tell me what I have listened to. If I play a video clip, she can tell me what I have watched. It just drives me crazy. At first I thought she just went to search and searched recently accessed files by the date. But I tried to test that theory and nothing shows up that I accessed.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well if you want to see recent files that may have been used and accessed try this i some times use it to update my web page

open note pad (JUST A SHORT CUT)

click save as

on the pop-up window click on recent

thats where i find pictures i need for my website and other info

but other than that pretty much all i can say

Dougger

Dougger

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sounds like maybe there's a logger app on there? There are a couple apps that will find these, SpyCop comes to mind, but maybe start with that and search for a couple more.

If I have helped you, PayPal me a Guinness Stout :whistling:

pitts

pitts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think she is accessing windows history some how. Not internet history, just anything done in windows. Where can that be viewed? Can it be hidden? Can it be erased?

Dougger

Dougger

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
That I'm not sure about. But if I were wanting to express my 1337-ness to someone perhaps less savvy, I'd install a surreptitious spying application, with a UI that provides an easy summary of activity.

pitts

pitts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well, i don't think thats the case but who knows...i already run these programs weekly: pest patrol, ad-aware, spybot, no adware, avg anti spyware....i think if she was running some spy program she would mention things about internet....all she ever mentions is files accessed

Dougger

Dougger

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Keyboard loggers and the like, AFAIK, are in a slightly different class than the flotsem and jetsem that finds its way onto your machine through the net. I guess take a look at how SpyCop describes itself (www.spycop.com), and see if your other apps are already doing that. And if you haven't already, take a look at the malware part of the forum.

But yeah, if there is some built-in logging on XP, I'd be curious to hear about it.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Isn't the idea of setting up users accounts protected by passwords done to prevent just this sort of thing happening.

Perhaps someone can explain that more fully.

Advertisements

pitts

pitts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
we all use the same account....i have nothing to hide, i'm just tired of her actin smarter than me !! she knows how to do 1 thing and she lets me know she can do something i can't

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we can help describe what's going on for you and explain the "hows" but...(personal opinion) you may do better by talking to your wife (and possibly having some counselling?)...spouses "spying" on each other is USUALLY indicative of MUCH larger issues (i.e. trust issues)...if she's doing it to be a show off...then she may have self esteem issues (maybe there's something that you do better than her that you always gloat about?)...i suggest that you and the wife have some long discussions about this and consider speaking with a marriage counselor (or a priest of trusted family friend or whomever you feel comfortable with) the underlying problem won't get solved here

pitts

pitts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm assuming that the " we can help describe what's going on for you and explain the "hows" but..." is gonna be in yer next post ....??? But thanx for the marriage advise too

pitts

pitts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
so can anyone explain where all of the history resides in windows? or what else could be the deal.

amosharper

amosharper

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It's possible that she's simple looking at the MRU (Most Recently Used) lists, which can be seen either in My Recent Documents on the Start bar or in the 'File' menu of most programs in Windows.

AdAware can clean these.

EDIT: You think she knows you're posting this? Be careful to sign out before you leave the site! :whistling:

Edited by amosharper, 10 January 2007 - 04:33 PM.