Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc does not pass the P.O.S.T. screen

• Please log in to reply

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Friends pc died, she kindly brings it to me, HA!!

The story goes, her son decided to add ram to his pc to play a game. Needless to say, he installed some very old 64mb sticks that wasn't compatible. His mother decided, well, maybe I should re-format, pc died on reboot during the install.

Can't get past the POST, it detects all drives, I have un-installed everythig except, ram, video hard drive and cd rom. Had to replace the CMOS battery, it was dead. When I initially went into BIOS settings, it asked for a password, they had this pc since new (2001), she doesn't recall ever placing a P/W there? Oh well, no biggy, I reset the BIOs to default via jumper. I am now able to get in, set "boot from cd" reboot. Can not past POST test, that's where I am now.

When I boot the pc up, split second after I hit that button, I get a short beep. Do PCs beep upon initial start that quickly or is the MOBO telling something like ram problem?

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
did the computer come with a manual? because.. those beepy sounds are all identifications on certain problems on the MOBO... i think 1 beep is "everything is O.K."... but im not sure.. i havent looked in my manual in ages.. try going to your local libray and check out a book on COMPUTER UPGRADING AND BUILDING.. taht should tell you waht the beeps mean...

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
one short beep, means system ok.

Does anyone know any good tutorials on troubleshooting Boot up problems, also tried some old 128mb ram stick to no avail.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
For the tutorials you could probably just search it up on google. and as for the RAM.. i think you can find them on NEWEGG.COM is you cant find them at your local computer and elctronics store..