Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Keeps Crashing... Reasons?

• Please log in to reply

ewufan

ewufan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I can't seem to get the program to boot off of the cd I created. I have tried to run the program by clicking on it. It initially runs, but then opens up my DVD decrypter program.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you have a floppy drive, try the first link I gave for memtest. That one is the floppy version.

If not, and you have already successfully created a CD, follow these directions to set up your computer to boot from the CD

Boot from CD

Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD

Many computers are not configured to boot from the CDROM. If you cannot boot from the CDROM, this is probably due to the boot order of your devices being incorrect. You can change this in the BIOS.

You enter the BIOS from the first screen you see when you turn your computer on. To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S. If possible see the manual for your computer or motherboard. Also, the BIOS will usually display which button to press to "enter setup" during POST (if it flashes by too fast, press the Pause key).

When you enter the BIOS setup, you need to change the boot order. The CDROM should be setup before the Hard Drive. Each BIOS is different, but here is an example:

Posted Image

If you did not successfully make a CD, download the ISO recorder program and install it.

Click Here for instructions on how to use it.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 January 2007 - 05:11 PM.