Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

girryman saya happy new year all just need to know...

• Please log in to reply

girryman

girryman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
happy new year wannabe1, hope you had a good xmas and new year. The only thing withch i have reinstalled on the laptop is windows office, but nothing else, all other programs are in the other partion but im unable to reinstall them in the new partition, if your around any chance of a helping hand. thanks!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello girryman. I'm computerwiz12890 and a good friend of wannabe1. I'll see if I can assist. :whistling:

The new partition, is it primary or secondary?

The programs...when you try to reinstall them, what happens? any error messages? If so, what do they say?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 10 January 2007 - 10:04 PM.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i think the partition is secondary, when i go in to the first windows most of the install options are missing from the programs, not sure whether to just delete the first windows and reinstall all the programs as the important info ive managed to extract, so i can start from scratch. thanks for your reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It probably would be best to start from scratch, though if you'd like, you can attempt a windows repair on it.

In order to do a repair, you will need an XP CD. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

After doing a repair, we will know the OS is stable and complete, and then from there, you may have to reinstall your programs...which pretty much would be like doing it from scratch. Wiping it clean and starting over has one advantage...it cleans off any junk and/or leftover programs you got lingering. Helps speed things up a bit, at least for a few months :whistling: