Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new pc

• Please log in to reply

cathie0104

cathie0104

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi can anyone help? I have bought a new pc that uses windows xp but on my old comp are some programmes, photos etc can i put these on a disc and then put this is my new pc or can i somehow send them from old to new comp? if so how??? Dont want to put old drive in new comp!! Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I take it you don't have any install CD(s) for the programs? You can easily transfer saved data for programs, but as far as moving them over, you need the install file(s) so that it can add things to the registry as well.

cathie0104

cathie0104

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No they are things that i've downloaded so i suppose i could do that again:( but things like my photo's and stuff that i've done on the old comp like html for my website can i move that over???? Thanks

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, as long as you can work with the programs. That's the hardest part. Now, photos and such are easy. Do you have a CD burner? If you do, you can burn them to a CD. There's tons of other options as well, but this is usually good for long term backup as well.