Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connected but no internet

• Please log in to reply

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
ok so my IBM thinkpad says its connected but i can get on the net. i no the network is good because i can connect threw another comp wireless. and the IBM can work on the cat5 so i no IE isnt the prob. thanks

Advertisements

Habu

Habu

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello, I recently had a problem like yours and I went out and bought a wireless card for my laptop thinking that the internal wireless card was no good. I was wrong... After some troubleshooting I realized something... I don't know if this is the case for you but it's worth a shot.

First I logged into my router's settings. I'm going to assume you have a linksys like me because I don't know how different other routers are as far as playing with settings but it shouldn't be all that different either way. Open a web browser and point it to 192.168.1.1 and it should bring up a prompt for username an password if you have this feature enabled on the router. After you're in go over to Status and then into Local Network. Then click on the DHCP Clients table button. This will show you all users connected to the network. Now when I got in here I noticed something strange... There were multiple IPs for my machine on the network causing a denial of service (DOS). So what I did was delete all of them with my host name and reconnected to reset the table's perception of my machine. I think the cause for this was my laptop going into hibernate after the allotted time... I guess it doesn't tell the router that it's going to sleep and therefore when it wakes up it reconnects under a different IP. :whistling:

Let me know if that works... Good luck!

Edited by Habu, 10 January 2007 - 06:30 PM.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
so how do u delete multiple ips

Habu

Habu

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
What kind of router do you have? Are you able to get into the setup and can you see the DHCP client table? If so, you just make your selection and click Delete and that's it... either that or you can wait 24 hours (default client lease time) from last logon for the table to purge itself.

If you're having trouble logging into your router here is a list of default username/password combinations for just about any router out there...
Default Usernames/Passwords

-Habu

Edited by Habu, 11 January 2007 - 01:31 AM.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
i figured it out thanks

rob.jarvis

rob.jarvis

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have the same problem. I have a pc wired to the linksys router and a laptop with a wireless adaptor.
The pc works fine. The laptop does not. It cannot obtain an ip address from the dhcp server. The monitor software shows that it can see the network (signal strength & quality are 100%).

I tried pinging 192.168.1.1 from the laptop but it could not reach it.

I checked the dhcp client table in the router and it was empty. The wired-PC appeared in the ARP/RARP table as 192.169.1.100.

I notice the linksys monitor software for the adaptor shows the ip address to be totally wrong, it's nowhere near what the router should be assigning.

Not sure what to do now!

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
do u have am IBM or what?