Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Graphical problems..

• Please log in to reply

XsNRG

XsNRG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well i just upgraded from a crappy 1999 machine and i decided to build my own its an upgrade.. but not that great here are the specs.
MOBO: Abit kn8-SLI
CPU: 3500 AMD
V Card: 6200 Geforce
PSU: X-FINITY

Well from the start i starting seeing these graphical glitches as i started to install windows.. like when i went to install it some words in the setup screen and BIOS were pretty messed up as in it looked like a lot of the letters were seperated from eachother. When i first saw that i thought it was the card drivers and they just needed to upgrade.. i finally got to install windows xp and downloaded and installed drivers but as i was installing whenever i clicked on the START menu or just opened up a new window like control panel the monitor would like stutter and refresh on its own..and sometimes turn off and then back on quickly.. after i installed drivers it didnt help much.. Any1 have any idea what it can be.. I already ruled off Monitor since i tried it with a different monitor and nothing changed.

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
hmmm....i think that its the video cable. the VGA cable that goes to you video card and monitor might be dead. happened to me. if thats not the problem, then it might be the video card. its old, and even if you bought it new, its OLD! lol

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
actually, did you replace your monitor? that seems more like a monitor problem to me. its a rare day when a cable actually goes out. and that video card isnt that old. a 6800 isnt that bad. i use a 5700 right now. =/ i used to have a "17 monitor that started acting up on me in sort of the same manner, and it eventually just stopped working. turned it on one day to hear a pop... and then nothing. not even the light on front came on. turns out a capacitor popped inside.

on the other hand if it is the cable, then shoot me down.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
a 6800 is pretty old considering nVidia has already gone thru the 7 series

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
so, call me old fashioned.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
im using an ATI X1900GT because 1) it was pretty cheap and 2) my mobo is ATI, else i wouldve gotten an nVidia

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
are you sure that it is an ATI motherboard and not an ATX motherboard? From what i know ATI doesn't make motherboards. there are mobo companies that integrate ATI radeon vid cards onto their motherboards, but from what i know there are not motherboards that only let you install ATI vid cards.

should double check that. ;-)

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
well, its a compaq mobo with an ATI chipset. and its an ATX mobo. i figured that since its a compaq, they really dont think people will add video cards and such, so i didnt want to try and risk an nVidia

Edited by fortune82, 12 April 2007 - 06:15 PM.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
right. all that means is that your onboard video is ATI. there are three chipsets on the motherboard. there is the video, the audio, and the lan (providing it has onboard nic). when it says ATI chipset, that means you have an onboard ATI based video card.

edit: i am wrong. there is also the north bridge and the south bridge chipsets. its very unusual to have a video card specific chipset though. sorta like having a *shudder* mac.

what mobo is it? i can easily determine this by seeing the model

Edited by w0lverine, 12 April 2007 - 06:20 PM.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
i know, but like i said, its a compaq, and i didnt really wanna risk buying a $200 video card from nVidia and have it not work. i probably couldve, but, yeah, its done

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ignore

Edited by james_8970, 13 April 2007 - 08:28 PM.