Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Stuttering

• Please log in to reply

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
So here is the thing, recently my computer (Windows XP) has been stuttering quite a bit. What I mean is, let's say I am listening to music while surfing the internet (I'm doing this right now), every once in a while, like under a minute, the music will stutter and skip, as will the mouse. It does this with other things too, such as if I am watching a video or something. I don't really understand it, because I have checked the task manager and nothing really seems to be causing this. When the stuttering occurs, the file will take up more CPU % than normal (by files I mean, windows media player classic, windows media player 11, etc). I have also run ad-aware and a couple other scans but can't find the problem. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Is the hard drive light always blinking?

also, post your system specs please.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 11 January 2007 - 11:16 PM.

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Is the hard drive light always blinking?

also, post your system specs please.

No it isn't always blinking.

Specs:

1700 MHz CPU
512 MB of ram. Thats about as much as I know right now.

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
sorry double posted.

Edited by Silent Xenocide, 12 January 2007 - 12:04 AM.

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
try a different music player? classic is good, but programs like mp11, realplayer and itunes are bloated hogs and often can cause that stutter you speak of, especially on older hardware

try winamp... it has a small footprint