Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to delete a file

• Please log in to reply

DeathBringer

DeathBringer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well... My stupid friend was being stupid, he downloaded lime wire and tried to download a stupid picture without my permission. He saved it in my desktop and I cant do anything about it. I right click it and all it says is: Preview, edit, print, open with and send to. I cant delete it.
Does anyone know what I should do? :/

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try safe mode.

Reboot the machine.
Keep tapping F8 intill you get to a menu.
Choose Safe mode.

Let it load the files to the login on screen and choose your account.
See if you can delete it now?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If safe mode doesn't work, this list has yet to fail me...
http://www.geekstogo...TE-t102531.html
James

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A few methods.

1. Go to Start, right click "my Computer", click "explore". In the left window pane left click on the desktop icon. Then in the right pane right click on the file and click "delete". If you cannot get a delete, right click on the file then go up to file>delete. Still does not delete, then on to step 2.

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.
Close all open programs.( this just means have no other programs opened)
You now need to close EXPLORER.EXE. The proper way to shutdown Explorer is to raise the "Shut Down Windows" dialog (select "Shut Down..." from the start menu), hold down CTRL+SHIFT+ALT and press the CANCEL button. Explorer will exit cleanly.

Note: The <CTRL+SHIFT+ALT> at the 'Shut Down Windows' dialog method of closing Explorer is built into Explorer. (It was specifically designed so that developers writing Shell Extensions could get Explorer to release their Shell Extension DLLs while debugging them).

Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.

Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.

Close Task Manager.

If you need a better understanding about this look here.

http://www.theelderg...etable_file.htm

3. A tool that will allow you to delete any undeletable file is Unlocker.

After installing the tool you will get a new context menu option when right-clicking any file in Windows Explorer.

If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear:

Simply click Unlock All and you are done!

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

If none of these work i have a few more programs in my arsenal that can be used. i prefer to not let most people have them because they can do a great deal of damage to a system if you don't know how to use the programs.

SRX660

Elite[sS]

Elite[sS]

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I've always used this program, and it has never failed me once, all you have to do is right click your file, select "Unlocker" and a window will come up and you can select a variety of things, such as deleting, renaming, moving, or killing a process using the file in order to delete it.

Heres download link if you would like to use it:
http://www.softpedia...load-21518.html

Exact Definition of Unlocker:

Unlocker is an Windows Explorer extension allowing you with a simple right-click on a file or folder to get rid of error message such as error deleting file or folder, cannot delete folder: it's being used by another person or program.

Helps delete locked files with error messages like:

- Cannot delete file: Access is denied
- There has been a sharing violation.
- The source or destination file may be in use.
- The file is in use by another program or user.
- Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

DeathBringer

DeathBringer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried most of them... safe mode doesnt work...
@SRX660-I tried #1. #2 is kinda hard for me, on a 1024x768 screen resolution with the file at the top of the screen, the name of the file goes down about, amost half of the screen. I tried it a couple times, but it kept saying the file extention is too long.
@Elite[sS]- I tried that too. When I right click it it still only has Preview, edit, print, open with and send to.

Edited by DeathBringer, 11 January 2007 - 02:03 AM.

DeathBringer

DeathBringer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried like... all of the ones listed in the link from james_8970. They didnt work at all.
This is really bothering me...
I cant do anything with it, I cant move it anywhere else. When I try to move it to the recycling bin nothing happens. When I tried to use MoveOnBoot from the list(from james's link) it says the above file name is invalid. Which is really confusing me.
Hopefully... Someone will help me get through with this. Right now I have to sleep then in the morning go to school.
The only reason I am really frustrated with this is because the file name is really long with a disturbing title.
If I cant delete this I will reformat my computer just for this stupid thing.
Edit: Do you think I could make a new windows user, put my stuff on it and delete my old one?

Edited by DeathBringer, 11 January 2007 - 02:39 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What you have on your computer is what script kiddee's use to try impressing their friends with their abilities. It is nothing more than a file with either a very long file name, or is using a reserved name in the file name.

http://support.micro...com/kb/q120716/

The article states that you can't remove files
with reserved driver names (i.e AUX, CON...etc) since a check of reserved words is performed any time you
perform a file/dir operation. Fortunately, another option exist to bypass the normal reserve-word checks altogether. You may access your directories via Universal Naming Convention (UNC).

Here is what you need to do:

These commands are done at the command prompt. To open command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
To switch between a full screen and a window, press ALT+ENTER.
To quit a command prompt session, type exit at the blinking cursor in the command prompt window.

For example, you can possibly delete any file with a command such as:
DEL \\.\driveletter:\path\filename

or remove any directory with

RMDIR \\.\driveletter:\path\filename

Here is what I used:

DEL \\.\c:\0200~1\~\aux \con

This removed the file with the reserved name.

See if this works. I have thought about someone using the old alt + 255 trick but i thought that was fixed in windows XP. Hmmm, maybe time to do some expermenting.

SRX660

Extract

Extract

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Download unlocker it'll save you the heart ache