Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! my mouse keeps freezing!

• Please log in to reply

DANBRU

DANBRU

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Dude, this is soooooooo annoying and I can't figure it out. I've updated all drivers, updated my BIOS, used different mice, and blah, blah, blah. Does anybody out there run the same MB that I do? ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. Is my problem somewhere in the MB? ASUS website and forum are not much help. This problem usually occurs after I click on something or start an application, but sometimes it just does it out of nowhere. It hangs for 20-30 secons sometimes. Then my HDD makes the little noise it does when it's runnig, you know, then it un-freezes. Weird. Anybody got any tips? :whistling:

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ut oh... maybe your HD is saying its last words..

How old is the pc/hard drive?

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
this was happening before I put these hdd's in. I use to run a maxtor 100gb ultra ide. My rig is about 7 months old.

Edited by DANBRU, 10 January 2007 - 08:16 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Can you try the 100gb ide to see if it still occurs?

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I really dont want to put that drive back in my rig. This was happening with that HDD too. The hitachis are fairly new. I started over completely with these new drives. new OS and all. The mouse is still doing it. I've put different memory sticks,new graphics cards, downloaded every new driver for MB I could find, and it's still doing it.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you have the latest graphic card drivers?

I have a feeling its the graphics.

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
sorry,didnt mention that,yes I do. always stay up on latest drivers. this was happening with my last card too. geforce 7300. Now I'm running a radeon x-1950 pro and it still does it. both in windows and in games

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Did it do it with the geforce?

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
yes

ComputerAbuser

ComputerAbuser

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a similar problem, my mouse would freeze only while online, When does your mouse freeze? what are you doing? when does it happen? is there a pattern? with same application or random? before I give any advice, I need to know the OS, Ram memory, Video card, info. a lot of things can cause a mouse freeze. what kind of mouse are you using?
You could replace your mouse, go to manufacturer's website and update drivers, ComputerAbuser

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

sfc [/size]- system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ok, did all of that. downloaded all current drivers for mouse,video card,BIOS and BIOS utilities,updated BIOS,went through my device manager and updated all drivers that would even maybee have anything to do with it, changed video cards,mice,memory sticks,installed new OS on new HDD and pulled all updates from microsoft that the said I needed. What the !@#$ am I missing here. It freezes during games and in windows. it usually happens when I click on something to open/close or start it. But sometimes I just go to move the cursor and it hangs, 20-30 seconds sometimes. some days it really gets a bad attitude and just repeatedly does it over and over. If I re-boot the system during these outbursts it kind of stops acting out but it doesnt completely solve it. sometimes it never happens during a session. other times it does. Click on my username to see my system specs

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ok putting genuine windows in to try this

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
running sfc now. mouse is acting up again as we speak. keeps hangin'

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok I want you to run a chkdsk.

Click Start
Click Run
type 'chkdsk /f /r' (no quotes)

It will ask you if you want to scan on reboot. type Y
reboot and let it scan. Post back if any improvement or not.