Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting problems. I need some help here.

• Please log in to reply

dwgping

dwgping

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I use my laptop in school and use Microsoft Word everyday. I accidentally must have hit a combination on my keyboard to change the formatting of the keyboard. The problem is with my "tab" button. When I am using the bullet points in Microsoft Word, and I hit "tab", the bullet doesn't move over and change like it is supposed to. Instead, the cursor just moves over five spaces. Also, when I hit "shift+tab", it doesn't move the cursor back five spaces like it is supposed to, instead it continues to move the cursor over to the right. I called the customer servide at HP and they couldn't help me at all. If anybody knows what I did to mess up my formatting, and most importantly, knows how to change my keyboard formatting back, please let me know.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
First, confirm the "Tab" key behavior in Word, but not while using Bullets and Numbering. Does it happen then also?

If the behavior is specific to Bullets and Numbers, then you might have somehow changed the default settings. Look at this article: http://www.shaunakel...rolbullets.html, especially 3.3 that talks about setting tab stops.

Move your normal.dot file to the desktop and reopen Word. This file should be at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. If you can't find it here, click Start, Search to find it.

Now reopen Word and check the "Tab" key. Did that fix it?

If not, try running Detect/Repair. In Word, click the Help menu, Detect/Repair. Check both the box for "Restore my Shortcuts" and for "Discard my Customizations".

Now open Word and check the "Tab" key behavior. Did this fix it?

If not, please provide additional information:

1. What version of Word do you have. Be include the SP number. You can find this in Word on the Help menu, by clicking About Microsoft Word.

2. Confirm your operating system, including Service Packs. You can find this information by right-clicking My Computer and choosing Properties.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
PM from dwgping

You're tip on repairing Office worked. Thank you very much.

dwgping

dwgping

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

PM from dwgping

You're tip on repairing Office worked. Thank you very much.

http://www.geekstogo...e_-t144782.html