Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Express 6.0

• Please log in to reply

Philip H.

Philip H.

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello all!
I just converted a computer from Windows 98 to XP Home edition. Everything went well, except now my email will pull up, but it won't let me do anything else. I try to send, check an attachment,it gives me a Microsoft Error Report every time. I have a good knowledge of Computers, but this one has me stumped.

By the way, Please send Responses to

Thanks!

Philip

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post as it could lead to more contact than you intended

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please provide the exact error message. Also, check the Event Viewer for addtional Warnings or Errors that occurred at the same time as OE closing. To get into the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. You'll see three categories on the left: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System. If you find anything that seems remotely to do with Oultook Express, copy the event (copy to clipboad icon under the down arrow) and paste it in this thread.

Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed? Are you current with critical updates?

What version of Internet Explorer do you have? Include Service Packs.

What Antivirus and/or Firewall do you use?

Philip H.

Philip H.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello, and Thanks. Okay. This is my Dad's computer. I will have to set him up with another E-mail address so I can respond from his computer. The things I know for sure: Using Windows XP Home SP2, AVG Anti Virus, Adaware SC Free Edition, Windows Firewall. I will look for other stuff in Admin. Tools tomorrow.

Thanks

Philip H.

Philip H.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Okay. Running IE 7.I have even been on Microsoft Download page, found the exact message I was getting, downloaded that, and still same problem.Can't check, or create e-mails. I give up.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I would love to help you with this problem, but I really need you to give me the exact error you're getting.

Philip H.

Philip H.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Here is a link to Microsoft Support page with the exact Error Message.

http://support.micro...-...&sid=global

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you getting errors in the Event Log?

Did Outlook Express ever work since you upgraded the operating system?

Are you logged into Windows with a user account in the Administrator group? Are you using the default Administrator user account to log into Windows? If so, add a new Windows User Account (Control Panel, User Accounts). Be sure to put the new user in the Administrator group. Sign on the computer with the new account, open and configure Outlook Express.

Here's a link I found that deals with reinstalling/repairing Outlook Express:
http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle37258.aspx ** manual reinstall of OE

Here are two links for fixing a corrupt identity after upgrading to Windows XP:
http://support.micro...kb/314422/en-us
http://support.micro...kb/873021/en-us

Some additional fixes for Outlook Express under Windows XP:
http://support.micro...kb/900930/en-us

Please post the resulsts.

Philip H.

Philip H.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hey Again, No Outlook Express never worked properly after switch from 98 to XP.
I will check Events to see if anything unusual is there. I wonder if I tried to remove xp, and reinstall if that might help. I am logging on using Original User Account,I'll let you know if the fixes you posted worked.
Thank You so much for trying to help me.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What do you mean by "original" user? What is the username?

If the manual repair/reinstall of Outlook Express doesn't help and before totally reinstalling Windows, you could try SFC (System File Checker)
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Philip H.

Philip H.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello Again.

I can't thank you enough. I tried to manually reinstall OE, and that didn't work, so I set up a new account, and BINGO! Works fine. I guess during the switch from 98 to XP, someting didn't transfer correct. Thanks Again!

Philip

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
A new Windows User account or an OE Identity?

Philip H.

Philip H.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I Created a new User(Administrator)Account,then deleted the old one, then reset OE up,and it worked fine.