Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extended warranty..

• Please log in to reply

vraknari

vraknari

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Is it worth it to shell out the extra dollars for an extended warranty on components? I'm buying exclusively from Newegg and everything falls under the standard return policy - 30 days for a complete refund, less a 15% restocking fee; 1 year from original invoice date for a replacement. CPUs are limited to 7 & 30 days respectively.

It would cost me roughly $200 extra to get a 1 year warranty extension on all my components, but I'd rather spend it on more memory or a faster processor.

Edited by vraknari, 10 January 2007 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It depends. If the device fails, then it is worth it. If you tend to upgrade the device before the warranty ends, then it is not worth it.

It is a gamble and often the extended warranty is not worth it. Have you had many things fail in the past? If you live in a place with good power, have a good environment with respect to dust/dirt and take good care of computers, then it is less likely that you would need it.

The bottom line is that it is a personal decision. It is kind of like insurance, you are betting against yourself :-).

vraknari

vraknari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well I'm thinking/hoping that this current build of mine will last more than 2 years. But with DX10 just around the corner, I may look to upgrade just the video card at some point.

This is my 2nd build so I have no experience with failing parts and hope to not run into that problem.

The room it will reside in, is kept fairly clean - dusted and vacuumed once a week.

As of now I think I'll roll the dice and take a chance that things will last for a while to come *knock on wood*.

Thanks.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
That is often a good bet. Remember, the company is making money on the extended warranty so the amount of the money gives an indication of the risk. If things last a year, there is a good chance that it will continue to run for longer.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Just my reasoning here, but computer manufacturers and stores make a good profit by selling those extended warranties. Nothing generally goes wrong year one, and year two depends on the user really, but is usually safe. You never really use that warranty, it's a random kind of thing. In the end, it will probably cost you less to repair it with your own money rather than have the warranty cover it for all these years, when you may not use it.