Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply

cph89

cph89

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

I have a ASUS P5GD1 Pro motherboard. I was recieving Delayed Write Failure errors in windows and after running check disk on both hard drives and still having the problem i decided to ensure my HDD cables were not lose (it happened once before) or anything like that. No Problem there but when i attempt to restart my computer i get 4 beeps after the normal POST boot beep and then a CPU Overheat Error followed by the system shutting down. It gives me the option to ignore the error and continue but the computer still shuts down about 5 seconds after continuing. The CPU fan appears to be working normally. and all other fans are spinning.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Cph89

Additional System Information:
Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
3GB Ram
256MB Nvidia 6800GT
120GB HDD - Contains Windows.
250GB Second HDD
Windows XP SP2

Edited by cph89, 10 January 2007 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hi cph89
Look in the bios and c what the tempetures of the cpu and mother board.
If they r over heated then y might try some thermal paste on the cpu (not 2 much)

cph89

cph89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
the system shuts down too quickly for me to get into bios, i have noticed that the paste on the cpu and heatsink is dried and crumbling is it meant to be like that or is it meant to be slightly moist like thick paste?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It isn't suppose to b dry just a little "sticky". I have seen a computer that stops because cpu heats up but it froze on post.
U can try thermal paste/sticker It may help.
here is a link with beep codes.

http://www.sysopt.co...cle.php/3552501

r the beeps 1 and 4 or 5
the diagnostics don't look 2 good

good luck

cph89

cph89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
One normal bootup beep and 4 beeps. Do you know whether ASUS uses an AMI or Award BIOS. Sometimes i don't even get it running long enough for the beep codes but when i do it comes with the CPU Overheat Error and shutsdown.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It just doesn't make sence. :whistling: If the comp. was off for awile and just turend on and the fan was sitting on the cpu not locked then u can still boot and start running and it would not beep that it is overheating.
If I understand correctly you got a mesage from the bios that thc cpu overheated.
Do u still get the message from the bios?
Did u try to reset the bios ? If the cpu did overheat it cold send out a message till problem fixed and bios reset.

cph89

cph89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Uh how do i reset BIOS? Oh and once or twice i managed to get the the Windows did not start correctly select boot options screen, selected normal and then it turns off sometime during the windows load. But after that i get the CPU Overheat alarm again. Is the heat sensor for these things in the MoBo or the heatsink do you know?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
OK
2 reset the bios on the mobo there is a battery next 2 it should b a jumper it sais how 2 move 2 reset bios. Or disconnect from electricity take out batt and wait a min. then put bat back and turn it on.

u mannaged to get it run a bit that means that the comp does sometimes work. I wasn't sure what was happenning. Now it sounds like it could b a cpu heat problem. U should try in any case toess the temp through the bios.

The the heat sensor for these things in the MoBo. right under the cpu.

Win does not poot properly cause it was not shut down propperly (it crashed)

Try some heat sink paste or even better sticker.

cph89

cph89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've reset the bios and that had no effect, I've also put new paste on the eat sink and also no effect, I haven't seen the CPU Overheat Error since then but it still just turns off without warning about 5 seconds after it is turned on. My system is still under warranty and i have contacted my system manufacturer service dept. Thanks for your help.

Edited by cph89, 12 January 2007 - 04:23 AM.