Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot delete eectrl

• Please log in to reply

joejobs

joejobs

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
The driver:
eectrl shows up as an error in event viewer-
Describes the driver failed to start.

I think this driver corresponds to:
Symantec Eraser Control driver
located in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EECTRL\0000; Value Name: DeviceDesc, ; Value Data: Symantec Eraser Control driver,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EECTRL\0000; Value Name: DeviceDesc, ; Value Data: Symantec Eraser Control driver,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EECTRL\0000; Value Name: DeviceDesc, ; Value Data: Symantec Eraser Control driver,

I tried to delete the registry keys but it fails to delete them in regular and safe mode.
I also tried deleting the value through tune up utilites

Is there any other way to delete the mentioned registry keys?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The keys won't delete most likely because the associated service is running. Have a look in the services list (Start>Run, type SERVICES.MSC and click OK. See if you can find the service associated with Symantec Eraser Control (it may be listed same name as the driver 'eectrl'). Stop the service and also set it's startup type to 'Disabled'. Now try to remove the Registry entries.

Edited by pip22, 11 January 2007 - 05:54 AM.

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
had tried that before, forgot to note it in the first thread.
no trace of eectrl or netevent.dll

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You may have to resort to completely uninstalling the Norton product which installed the Symantec Eraser Control component (ie Norton Antivirus or Norton Firewall). Reboot if prompted when uninstaller finishes, then re-install the Norton Product and hope the problem does not return.

My preferred method, however, is to dump those bloated, bug-ridden Symantec products altogether as I did, and choose a more user-friendly alternative. Symantec have lost the plot in my opinion. It no longer care about the home-user. It's become biased towards the corporate user 'cos that's where the big money is.

Edited by pip22, 11 January 2007 - 12:38 PM.

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Uninstalled norton, do not wish to reinstall it.
It refuses to go away! with the eectrl file.

that was the first step.

yogimash

yogimash

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EECTRL\0000; Value Name: DeviceDesc, ; Value Data: Symantec Eraser Control driver,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EECTRL\0000; Value Name: DeviceDesc, ; Value Data: Symantec Eraser Control driver,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EECTRL\0000; Value Name: DeviceDesc, ; Value Data: Symantec Eraser Control driver,

for all three keys first rt click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - click permission - Advance - Auditing - Add - user name (in which you are logged in) - Check names - check full control under successful - ok - now del the key...... it sure will go
Repeat the same procedure for remaining keys