Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access 2003 Wizards not working

• Please log in to reply

griffia2

griffia2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi
I'm having problems with Access 2003 wizards. Form and report wizards will only show one field from the table or query I want to use. I can't use the Crosstab query wizard either.
I have tried uninstalling Office 03 and re-installing it. Also downloaded any update available from Microsoft, but still have the same problem. Any ideas? :whistling:
I had a look at other postings but can't see this exact problem posted.,

Thanks in advance for any help

griffia2

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you getting any kind of error when using the report wizard? If so, please provide the full error message.

When you go into the report wizard, you choose a table or query, and the fields that are listed for that table or query are not complete? Is that correct? Which field is shown? Is it the first field or a random field?

Look at Microsoft article 838911. If you haven't installed Microsoft Jet 4.0, go ahead and do that. Then try the wizard again.

Please post the results, good or bad.

griffia2

griffia2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had already checked that I had Jet 4.0 installed. Rechecked this today and downloaded any other recommended updates - did not solve the problem.
When I start a wizard only the first field shows up regardless of which table, query etc I choose to create the form from. It is always the first field. I can take this across and enter Next and Finish and then a box pops up to say "Wizard could not complete your form".

I have McAfee antivirus running on my pc - could this be blocking any features of Access? I read somewhere that it can cause problems with VB scripts???

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Very possibly - try disabling McAfee completely.

If that doesn't help, has Access always acted this way? If not, what might have happened just prior? If you can determine a date, try to run a System Restore to a day prior.

Also, you could boot into Safe Mode and try running the wizard. This will tell us if it is a software conflict.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Sorry - a couple of more questions came to mind after I submitted.

Do you have a printer installed?

What happens if you try to create a report in design view, instead of by the wizard? Do you get all the fields in the table/query?

griffia2

griffia2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
1. Disabled McAfee - did not solve problem.
2. Started in safe mode - same problem
3. I recently installed Office 2003 - upgraded from 2000. This problem also existed with the previous version. I had Mcafee installed at this time also.
4. Yes I have a printer installed - same one for quite a while
5. If I start a form or report in design view I can see all the fields in table or query.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you uinstall Office 2000 before installing 2003?

This report wizard problrm happens on all databases, or just certain ones?

Is your printer installed locally or shared from another computer?

Are you logging into Windows using the default Administrator account? If not, is your user account set up in the Administrator group? Try adding a new Windows User Account (Control Panel, User Account), put it in the Administrator group, and try running the Access wizard. You can delete the user and its folders later.

Have a look at this link, as it also deals with an Access wizard problrm. It recommends replacing certain Access files and registering some DLL files.