Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply

superman55027

superman55027

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have recently purchased a Geil product that i have is the So-Dimm Golden Dragon pc2100 DDR 512 MB 266 Mhz. The computer I have is an IBM T30 w/ windows xp. The problem I am having is outlined in there support info here is what they say:
Q: I installed GeIL DDR memory module and my Windows won't start every time I boot, and crashes almost immediately even if it does start. What did I do wrong?
A: On some motherboards, the memory voltage sensor is not accurately calibrated and the "DIMM Voltage" is being mis-represented in BIOS screen. Set/adjust the memory core voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 volts. All GeIL memory modules have passed the torture test at 3v to survive in this PC market filled with all sorts of different grade power supply units and motherboard voltage sensors.

Ok I the question I now have is how do I change the voltage?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Depends. The easiest way is to delve into the BIOS settings (hold down the 'DEL' key as you boot up) and look for something along the lines of "memory voltage" and adjust it. If no such entry exists in your BIOS then it's a hardware adjustment using jumpers on the motherboard (a PC technician's job), or update your BIOS but only when you are sure the update gives you what you need.

Edited by pip22, 11 January 2007 - 01:35 PM.

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have searched the BIOS for any voltage changing settings. I have not found any settings. So an other words time to take the computer to a PC tech or just sell this chip and buy a different one?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Getting a different brand of memory-chip is not guaranteed to solve the problem unless it's unique to one you already have or varies from one memory brand to the next. So changing the memory brand might work.

It probably explains why I've had memory compatibility problems with my PC, despite getting the right type and speed. never occurred to me that some memory chips might be less tolerant of voltage variations than others. I did eventually find a module that works no problem -- exactly same spec as the one that wouldn't allow my PC to boot -- just a different brand. So hopefully that's all you need to do.