Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer crashes immediately

• Please log in to reply

TFGDoubleA

TFGDoubleA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It all began with a flood of errors from McAfee, virus scan defs corrupted, spamkiller unable to start, but Firewall still worked. So i uninstalled then reinstalled McAfee, which led to a stream of reboots as the system would not make it into Windows, it would get as far as a log in screen then the monitor would turn off, which led me to have to do a few hard reboots.
Now the system can get into Windows, SVCHOST is running at 100% and Explorer and Iexplore close immediately upon launch. All start up programs have been disabled in msconfig, i even went as far as disabling a few services and still no change. I can get into the Windows partition through linux to make any changes, and attempted a manual system restore, as the automatic system restore could not restore to any date selected. This also did not resolve the issue. I have also attempted a repair installation and the problem remains. I have also booted the computer with BartPE and ran a virus scan and spyware scan and both come up clean. Any other options anyone may know of so i dont have to do a complete reinstall? Also, the problem also exists in safe mode. However i can access task manager and a cmd prompt, but i do not have any network access (windows related, as the same cards/connections are available and working in linux)

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Did you want to post a hijack this log, so we can look at it further or hav eyou already done that?