Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scanner not recognized

• Please log in to reply

SueTD

SueTD

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
:whistling:
Recently my computer crashed and I was helped by someone on this site to use the steps for "recovery console". I have reinstallation CDs for the Dell Dimension 4700 and used the one that says "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 2". Everything came back fine except that the system will not recognize my scanner.

Top of error message box says: Epson Scan: escndv.exe - Unable to Locate Component
In message box (next to the red spot with white X) says: This application failed to start because STI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled this unit 3 times, following the instructions exactly. The Epson Stylus CX6600 is an All-in-One and it does work on my old computer so I know it is not the unit itself. I don't know if using another one of those reinstallation CDs is the proper way to fix this. The one I most likely would choose says "For Reinstalling V.9X (Capable)/56K Data/Fax Modem Software for Microsoft Windows." It says the contents are: Drivers, Diagnostics and utilities, Online documentation, Modem on hold.

The people from Epson support says it is my system and even if I get a new scanner/printer, it wouldn't work until I fix the system. He thought I may need to reinstall Windows XP entirely. Microsoft and Dell won't help me without a fee (warranty expired) and won't even tell me that if I pay the fee they could guarantee that they could fix it!

Can someone tell me how to get the computer to recognize a scanner now?
Thank you in advance.
Susan

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.dlldump.c...0/download.html

see if this helps

STI.dll thats the download you need

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Sorry it took me so long but I wanted to take some precaution this time before downloading any files. I got a portable USB disk drive to save all my artwork and photos on just in case I did something wrong and crashed my computer again!

I clicked on the link you said I need and saved it. Then when I clicked on it, I have to choose what to open it with and it gives me a warning about possibly damaging my system! I don't want to make the wrong choice so can you tell me what to choose to "open with"?

Thank you.
Sue

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if its the pop-up with the install it should be alright

just click install and let go where it wants to

it maybe a printer folder or program files or even windows folder but it should be ok

your system requires this dll

so open with choose your best options they should given to you

when you see browse click on it look for printer folder and select if your ask to save as name ie it sti.dll and save it should go there

Edited by rushin1nd, 13 January 2007 - 11:31 PM.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
For some reason I did not get an email letting me know that you had responded but I thought I would check it today anyway and found that there was a message from a few days ago. I am not sure what you mean about saving the file in the printer folder. A long time ago, when I started having problems, I made a folder in my documents called Computer help so I usually save things like this in there. Does that make a difference and should I move it?

Anyway, the suggested program to open it with says Internet Explorer. I clicked on that and it gave me an error message. I then clicked on everything by Microsoft (since it said it was made by Microsoft) and anything that has the word Windows but nothing will open it. I tried every program except those that we added for specific purposes like the camera, etc.

I did find where the original sti.dll file is on my computer and can't open that one either. It is in a folder called I386. It gives me the same messages when I try different programs to open it.

What am I doing wrong?

Sue

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
yea i get those annoying email responses from geeks
they started fill up my partners outlook express
she didnt mind never the less still lots to delete

did you try using the repair option from the recovery console from your disk
you could try to do a repair

my exprience with epson is a nightmare
it was a cx4600 i think ...i think it ran on invisible drivers cause it worked but always had a pop-up saying the drivers for the device cannot be found your device may not work properly
then i lost it all blue screen after blue screen>>all i got left is a dead hard drive that i saved gonna dissect it some day

right click on task bar
then select task manager
do you see this escndv.exe in the processes
its the escndv.exe that opens the sti.dll
you will need to make a process list
so you have the software for scanner/printer

http://esupport.epso...8D94F3BD4683E72

this is the most recent updated driver for your scanner

Edited by rushin1nd, 18 January 2007 - 11:31 AM.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I did not try doing a repair from the recovery console from my disk because I don't know which disk to use or how to do it.

Originally when the computer crashed, I had a blue screen. I used the reinstallation CD from Dell as instructed by someone from geeks to go. Everything came back up except being able to use the scanner. Do I put that CD in again even though everything else is working or use another CD from Dell? The one I originally used said Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 2. I have one that says Reinstalling V.9X (Capable)/56K Data/Fax Modem Software for Microsoft Windows. The contents list Drivers, Diagnostics and Utilities, Online documentation, and Modem on hold. Are those "drivers" for the scanner?

I looked on the task manager as you said to and escndv.exe is not in the processes.

I clicked on the link you posted and downloaded the driver from epson. I don't know how to install this now that I downloaded it. When I clicked on icon that said set up, it said it could not verify where it came from and am I sure I want to install it. Is that the right icon to click on?

Is it going to help to download this if I the escondv.exe isn't listed in the processes? In the folder for Epson, I do have something that says escondv but when I click on it, nothing happens.

When I talked to someone at Epson, they said I have to clear up this problem or else even if I get a new scanner, it wouldn't work. Right now, this scanner will work on my old computer but the black doesn't work so I decided I would need a new All-in-one anyway. I wasn't sure if he meant that any Epson scanner wouldn't work or any scanner. If I install the new HP Photosmart C4150 that I purchased, will it work or do I still need to fix the sti.dll problem?

I hope this isn't too confusing but I seem to have more than one issue that I don't understand how to do.
Sue

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled this unit 3 times, following the instructions exactly. The Epson Stylus CX6600 is an All-in-One and it does work on my old computer so I know it is not the unit itself. I don't know if using another one of those reinstallation CDs is the proper way to fix this. The one I most likely would choose says "For Reinstalling V.9X (Capable)/56K Data/Fax Modem Software for Microsoft Windows." It says the contents are: Drivers, Diagnostics and utilities, Online documentation, Modem on hold.
Susan

no this not the software for your scanner
this is the software for your modem

the time you purchased your all in one scanner
you shouldve recieved the software for it
or did someone slse install the scanner for you
so im going to ask do you have the software for your scanner
if you dont has any attempt made to reinstall your scanner
if not the down load i gave will install the software including drivers
and im hoping escndv.exe this process will show

escndv.exe is epson ....

your sti.dll it should be ok
======================================================

there should be no harm installing another scanner

did you look in add/remove programs ...do you see any epson in there

my next question is how were you uninstalling and reinstalling scanner what software did you use

===================================================

Getting started

1. Download and install the latest driver and software available for your product

here are some tips on installing your drivers

1.if the drivers are installed and you want to install updated version.... remove the old drivers
go to add/remove programs and locate drivers for your product (EPSON)>>click on it >>then click remove
you maybe required a restart

2.clean your prefetch folder
start>>run>>type in prefetch>>ok>>edit>>select all>>then any blue file right click and delete>>confirm delete

3.from start >>all programs>>accessries>>system tools>>disk cleanup>>open it>>check all boxes except program files then click more option tab click clean up on system restore then click cleanup tab then click ok you will be ask ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO PERFORM THIS ACTION CLICK YES
then restart

4.download the drivers from here

http://esupport.epso...8D94F3BD4683E72

save to desktop or if you have then downloaded then once you completed the steps above do the installation and follow the prompts

then check to see if scanner works and check task manager to see if escndv.exe is in the process

GOOD LUCK

Edited by rushin1nd, 18 January 2007 - 01:56 PM.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
When I uninstalled and reinstalled the All-in-one, I did use the CD that came with the Epson CX6600.

I mentioned the other CD because I thought since the problem wasn't fixed after I did the uninstall and then the reinstall with the Epson CD that maybe the problem was something within the computer that did not reinstall when it was restored.

I printed out the instructions you just posted and will try that next. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.
Sue

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Since I felt a little technologically challenged reading your explanation of what to do to fix the problem and that you said it wouldn't hurt to install the new all-in-one from HP, I decided to uninstall all things having to do with Epson and install the HP.

The Epson person had told me that no scanner would work unless I fixed the sti.dll problem but that wasn't true. He must have meant that no Epson scanner would work.

The HP installed and works perfectly without me having to do any of the above mentioned instructions about installing drivers. It really was easier for me to just get a new all-in-one. I was getting really unhappy with Epson anyway since this was not the first one that had some sort of problem after only a year or so.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Sue

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
epson not my chioce either but you do have it installed on another computer so its not a loss

i knew the hp would work and im glad it did

the sti.dll was not the problem it was recognition between the computer and the escndv.exe which is epson

hp printer will create one of its own

your welome and and enjoy your printer

Edited by rushin1nd, 18 January 2007 - 03:58 PM.