Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove a saved password to login to another workgroup computer

• Please log in to reply

Jamppa

Jamppa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So the problem is as said on the topic... :/

I have two remote accounts on my desktop computer, and I'd wish to change between these two accounts from time to time as I log in from my laptop. I once - without further thinking - checked the box in the login screen that makes password manager to remember the login information. AARGH! I never thought how hard it might be to get that info removed... :whistling:

Now I've searched the net for a solution for well over an hour already. Getting frustrated, can anyone tell how I could reset password manager?

Edit: I guess that I could just change the user password on server machine. Thats not a very pro solution but it's gotta work... :blink:

Edited by Jamppa, 11 January 2007 - 04:46 PM.

Advertisements

pandammonia

pandammonia

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Go to "start", "run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (without inverted commas). It will bring up a box thats pretty straightforward.

Jamppa

Jamppa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh I forgot to mention I already found a solution... when there actually never was a problem. It was a built-in feature of windows xp, that caused so much headache before I got to understand it. So here's what's up:

My setup is following: I have a desktop computer which acts as a router for my laptop. I wanted to have full control over any files on both computers no matter which workstation I use.

I have a user named johndoe that I've created to allow my friends to log in and browse files on my desktop computer. I had used this account to log in earlier. Now I came to realize that I had to change my network logon if I wanted to log in as myself. However, I could'nt find this saved login information anywhere. (And yes, the box in "control userpasswords2" was empty as well...)

After a while I found out that even changing the password (or disabling the account) for johndoe did'nt do the trick. I was still able to see everything that was shared. Strange? This was what had happened:

My user account is IDENTICAL on both machines. Username and password are both the same. So what windows did: After I had logged in as johndoe, the target computer analyzed what was the real user account used on the client computer. As this account was found on both computers and the information was IDENTICAL - well it though there's no reason in storing ANY login information to client's password manager. I had logged in as myself, no matter what username I used to create the connection.

So there... It would have saved me alot of trouble if there just had been a simple window in XP, that had said what username I'm using the net resources with. Or if the server computer could say WHO is logged in, instead only showing number of connections in the computer management window... :/

I hope someone wiser than me will explain more deeply how usernames and accounts really work in windows xp networking environment. I sure didnt find a lot concerning this issue in the web. First time in a while I really had to do the thinking myself. :whistling:

Cheers!

Edited by Jamppa, 15 January 2007 - 11:45 AM.