Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer is down-Picture of burnt chip!

• Please log in to reply

spinningheadboy

spinningheadboy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Have a bit of a problem. My desktop was on for about an hour, came back to work, moved the mouse with no effect on the pointer. The computer then shut off and proceded to power on and off for about 5 seconds each before I pulled the plug on the system. The computer is now running with no monitor outputs. I've no idea what happened, but no video signal to the monitors. Any suggestions where to start? My monitors do power up and I can check the output with another monitor, but even the System HD light looks to not be blinking during start-up as I recall. The system HD is running, I've held it to make sure it's spinning and it is.

My sytem is a asus p4p800e deluxe, 3.2 P4 extreme, 2 gig of ram, matrox video card (dual monitors) 36 gig system drive and 5 HD with a 450w powersupply.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by spinningheadboy, 12 January 2007 - 12:03 PM.

Advertisements

adrian22

adrian22

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi have you tryed a graphics card that might solve the problem for now till you get into your system and have alook at the falt we wont be able to help you and if you could down load everst that should help aswell

thanks

ps if you need to reach me then im always on msn @ horacellamas2005@hotmail.co.uk

spinningheadboy

spinningheadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'll try and find a graphics card to test the system with. Hopefully that's all......just wondering what make my computer shut on and off like someone was throwing a light switch.

Regards,
Chris

adrian22

adrian22

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
it sometime has something to do with the moniter cable or it could have been the on board graphics on the mother board it can happen that way sometimes but it could have been something else but not quite sure will know more when you have graphics board

spinningheadboy

spinningheadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I changed to another agp video card that was know to work on another computer, with no luck. The computer seems to be running with all system fans running (5 plus cpu and PS). I did notice one of the MB chips looks to have a burn or mark on it like it may have overheated. Perhaps I should take this to a professional in person.

Regards,
Chris

adrian22

adrian22

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
it sounds like it has burnt its self out you may need to get someone to have a look as it could mean a new system but the memory and hard drive may still work just to be sure try the hard drive and memory in another system and if they work then perhaps it might be best getting a new board can i ask what systwm you are running if so i might have a crack program for windows for you

Edited by adrian22, 12 January 2007 - 05:07 AM.

spinningheadboy

spinningheadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here is a picture of the chip near the SATA inputs on my P4P800E-deluxe Asus board.

Posted Image

Looks like a new motherboard is on my list :whistling: Does this crap just happen?

Regards,
Chris D.

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
it happens from time to time.

If your next board doesn't come with it, I would suggest getting heatsinks and fans for your Southbridge chip (the one in your pic) and if you have it on your new Mobo, another heatsink for your Northbridge.

You can get these at this link - http://www.newegg.co...amp;srchInDesc=

Thats just one site however, and their are plenty of other sites that also carry them, possibly for even cheaper as well.

Many mobo's come with heatsinks already on them, so it may not be nessessary to even get anything depending on what you purchase.

spinningheadboy

spinningheadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ordered another MB and Heatsink, thanks for all the help.
I'll update when running again.....I hope :whistling:

Regards,
Chris D

adrian22

adrian22

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi i would sugest a asrock motherboard you want a good system but you will need a celaron prossesor chip and if you are on windows xp pro then i might be able to help you with the registration problem aswell just send me an email or just put another reply on here

p.s if you need to know more about what has most likely caused the burn out i might be able to tell you

regards a i black

spinningheadboy

spinningheadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will be running the same motherboard. I'm running a 3.2 P4 extreme edition chip.....I can't use a lower chip, as I'm editing high end video . It should be an easy transition.

Regards,
Chris

spinningheadboy

spinningheadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I received my new motherboard, swaped out everything and it started up on the first try. I did lose my audigy sound card with the MB, but onboard is working fine once enabled in the Bios. Thanks for all the help.

I really mean it.

Regards,
Chris D.