Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address but No Internet [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Enu

Enu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sometime last night, my Internet access just completely stopped working, and I can't figure out why. I'm on a college campus, so I've tried connecting to four different ethernet jacks, the wireless access in this dorm, and even a private wireless router from a room across the hall. Every time, I can get an IP address with no problem at all, but I can access the local network, but not the Internet or ping. For instance, I can listen to shared music on iTunes, but I can't visit any webpages. I've tried other computers, and they all work on the same ethernet jacks and cords.

HijackThis turns up nothing wrong, Ad-Aware and VirusScan return no problems. Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisements

TFGDoubleA

TFGDoubleA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
sounds like a possible issue with winsock to me

Give this a shot

run regedit.exe
goto H-KEY-LOCAL-MACHINE
then system
then services i believe
export the keys winsock and winsock 2 to a safe location
now delete both keys from the registry

next goto your ethernet connection under the network connections
and uninstall everything and uncheck tcp/ip.

next go to the control panel then go to system
goto hardware then device manager
remove your network card from device manager then reboot

this should reinstall all your networking protocols and you should be ok from that point

Enu

Enu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, things have taken a turn for the worse.

I followed the steps like you said, and restarted the computer. When I reached the XP Login screen, it completely froze. I tried starting in Safe Mode, and that worked (it reinstalled the network adapters but NOT the protocols), but every time I try to start in normal mode, the computer freezes at the login screen.

So now I have the network adapters installed, but only the TCP/IP protocol.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Enu

Enu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hehe, thanks for not actually reading my post. I know how to read a HijackThis log, and there was nothing wrong on it, like I mentioned in my original post. I ran a System Restore to get my system working again, and disabled all the services and startup options until I found the problem - it was one of the Symantec AV services that was somehow blocking my Internet access.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

Hehe, thanks for not actually reading my post.

I saw that you ran Hijack This. I thought if you ran it, and we looked at your log, it would give us a better picture of what was running on your computer.

I am glad that you got it fixed. :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
This topic has been closed. If you need it reopened, please PM a staff member.