Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

clean xp pro install problems

• Please log in to reply

cayous

cayous

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all.

I just installed a valid copy of xp pro. I had to call in to get them to authorize it because I just reformated my computer. After that I went straight to the windows update page and tried to update. As soon as I download all of the updates and it tried to install the first one it failed and wont let me go any further. I figured I would try to update IE but it does the same thing when I try to install IE7. Strangely it let me validate and install directx with no problems but I cant to seem to get any other windows update to work.

The only programs I have on my computer are AVG antivirus and the newest version of direct x as well as NVIDIA and mainboard drivers. Nothing else. Any suggestions would be great I am pretty lost.

Thank you.

Edited by cayous, 11 January 2007 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
so you called microsoft<><><><><><>your windows are valid

did you activate them as well

i know when i did a reformat windows update started

i was about to install them when grandson decided that power light was on long enough
so he turned computer off

so i lost updates
but at the same time i did not activate windows you know clicking on the gold keys

ive tried to update but had to activate windows
so i did finally activate them and started the windows update and they downloaded and installed like a charm

could that be the same problem your having

cayous

cayous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My windows is activated. I no longer have the windows avtivate button and when I go to the microsoft website and try to download anything is validates and approves my copy of windows just fine.

I can download all of the updates it just errors out when I try to load them. It doesnt say anything about not having a valid copy of windows.

For IE7 it says:

Internet Explorer 7 could not be installed. You must restart your system to confirm that any changes to your system are undone.

For normal windows updates it says failed. And them closes the window.

Here is the update that wont load:

Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

Again I downloaded and installed directx which needs to be validated and needs and active copy of windows and it works just fine.

Thank you all again for your time and help.

Edited by cayous, 11 January 2007 - 05:09 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

My windows is activated. I no longer have the windows avtivate button and when I go to the microsoft website and try to download anything is validates and approves my copy of windows just fine.

I can download all of the updates it just errors out when I try to load them. It doesnt say anything about not having a valid copy of windows. FOr IE7 it says that the install was not successful and to restart my computer to remove the changes and for normal windows updates it says failed. And them closes the window.

Again I downloaded and installed directx which needs to be validated and needs and active copy of windows and it works just fine.

Thank you all again for your time and help.

post the errors microsoft has a lists of errors and fixes for them

maybe some in the forum can help

Edited by rushin1nd, 11 January 2007 - 05:12 PM.

cayous

cayous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am not exactly sure how to post the errors. I posted what it said in my last post. There is no error codes it just says that the install cant be completed or it has failed in the update boxes.

If there is a way to get error codes let me know. I am not the most computer literate person ever.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Use another machine and go to the Microsoft download center and load the installer for IE7 onto a floppy and then run it on your machine. That should get around any limitations your current version of IE has with the MS website. Iv'e successfully done that many times with machines that had trouble installing the latest version.

Then turn off Automatic Updates and and go to the update page and just do a few updates at a time. Update your activeX first as that is used by the MS update process. Hope that helps you.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://support.micro....com/kb/906602/

http://www.updatexp....0x800A138F.html

theres a couple of sites to look over

cayous

cayous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I actually figured out what was wrong by chance. I will post what I did here so if anyone else has the same problem. I checked the log for the update that wouldnt load (KB898461) and found this:

18.656: Failed To Move File C:\WINDOWS\system32\spupdsvc.exe error = 0x11
18.656: Failed to copy spupdsvc.exe to system32
18.887: DeRegistering the Uninstall Program -> KB898461, 0
18.887: KB898461 Setup canceled.
242.268: Message displayed to the user: KB898461 Setup canceled.
242.268: User Input: OK
242.278: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d
242.278: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

I tried a buch of stuff but finally I renamed the spupdsvc.exe file and it let me download the updates. It also loaded a newer version of that file so you dont have to worry about changing it back. Thanks alot for all of your help.