Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New problems in XP w/ dual core install

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello... I'm in Purgatory :whistling:

Was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. I upgraded my 939 socket Athlon 64 3000+ to an Athlon 64 x2 4400+. (Toledo Core 1 MB L2) I run an Abit UL8 w/m1689 chipset, 2gb Corsair Ram, Antec Trupower PSU (550W) and (normally ) an EVGA 6600 GT Agp card, w/ a couple of SATA 1.5 drives, and a dvd burner. I took troubles to re-install Xp Pro in the right order with the Hotfix for Xp and the optimizer from AMD. It installed and recognized the dual core beautifully and works great....for most things. But when I installed My Favorite Dvd and video file software (Winamp) I couldnt play any video at all. I tried other players - no dice. I tried a cheap - but decent video card replacement - AN ATi 9550 - still no video. :blink: I installed all the codecs i needed so i dont think that is the problem. IT either freezes the system or shuts down and reboots. I turned off auto -restart, which didnt help. So I tried an update to the bios that i had contemplated earlier. Abit says the update is to support the FX-60, which i thought i wouldnt need. I guess i should have flashed before install - but after flashing i still dont get video. I tried tweaking the bios - and im not overclocked at all right now. Please help - I bought this proc for video rendering and multi-tasking help and I only got half the deal. :help: Thanks for your time _ MIKE :)

ps - Speedfan says my CORE is running between 46 and 52 centigrade!! Ouch - that is high right. Did i mess up the thermal paste or is this and RMA worthy chip!!!

Edited by ml23, 11 January 2007 - 06:23 PM.