Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen error

• Please log in to reply

without2

without2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My 2 year old Dell Dimension 8400 was working fine, until today a blue screen appeared when I turned it on. I have no idea what could have caused it, this was completely unexpected. I couldn't go into safe mode, it just forwarded me to the blue screen again. I tried inserting the Windows XP CD but it doesn't start, the cursed blue screen was there once again. Right now I'm on my friend's computer and I have no idea what to do. I am completely computer illiterate, and I would really appreciate help from somebody who's not!
Here is the message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut dow to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X000000 ED (0X86762E30, 0XC0000185, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Advertisements

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
sure sounds like a toasted HDD to me, have you tried another HDD?

also

make sure you have no USB drives attached....

DN

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Your drive might be toast. deathninja may be right.

Do you have the CD-Drive to boot first in the BIOS?
We could try a repair install.

without2

without2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your quick replies!

ultimateslacker2, I don't think so. Is there a way to make it boot first in the BIOS? Computers are really not my strong point...

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you know what kind of BIOS you have?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi without2...

When you were at the Advanced Options screen, did you try the "Last known good configuration" option?

What kind of machine do you have? (make and model number) <----Sorry, I see it's a Dell :whistling:

wannabe1

without2

without2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here are my computer's stats:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
76.79 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
60.52 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B [CD-ROM drive]
Maxtor 6Y080M0 [Hard drive] (80.00 GB) -- drive 0
Dell Inc. Dimension 8400
Board: Dell Inc. 0U7077
Serial Number: ..CN481114B509B.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A03 10/11/2004
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Service Tag: C5S8R61

There's the BIOS and model name, I hope that helped...

Edited by without2, 11 January 2007 - 08:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you try "Last known configuration" from the Safe Mode options?

To change the boot priority:

Enter BIOS Setup (System Setup on a Dell) by pressing F2 immediately when you see the Blue Dell Logo screen. There is a guide for making the necessary changes HERE. You need to set the cd-rom as first boot device and the HDD as second.

If you can get it to boot to the cd, let me know and we'll see if we can get you back into Windows.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
When i used to get blue screen it was stop error 0x0000007a

no matter how many times i tried to turn it on it would always go blue

But on the other hand if i left it off for about 5 or 6 hours it would start normally

you could try just shutting it down for the rest of the night and see what happens in the morning

==============================

also when you try it back on did you try tapping F1

or F8

immediately after you turn it on

Edited by rushin1nd, 11 January 2007 - 09:19 PM.

without2

without2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wannabe1, "Last known configuration" led to the blue screen as well.
I followed your advise and began to repair, however, the process ended at:

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:|>

Maybe I should just try installing a new copy?

rushin1nd, F8 eventually led to the blue screen too. I'll try waiting until tomorrow, since it's already getting late anyway. Let's hope for the best.. :whistling:

Edited by without2, 11 January 2007 - 09:19 PM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
To fix the Unmountable Boot problem:

Put your XP CD into your CD drive and boot from it. When you are given the option, start the Recovery Console. (by pressing R)

When you get to the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". This is a long check...be patient.

without2

without2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
computerwiz12890, it's running right now. Maybe this problem will be solved today after all! Thanks a lot everybody, I'll keep ya updated..

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great! :whistling:

Running chkdsk solves this issue almost every time, as long as the hard drive is not severely damaged.

without2

without2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So the repair was completed and guess what - when the computer restarted I got the lsass.exe issuing the message "an invalid parameter was passed to a service or function." :whistling: :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.