Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Floppy Drive into New PC

• Please log in to reply

deerhunter30

deerhunter30

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just got a new computer. It is a Gateway GT5252, with 2 gigs of RAM, 320 GB SATA2 harddrive, a dvd and cd burner, and a 9 media card reader (i think). Anyways, as you all know, they are making compuers now without floppy drives in them. My school's computers have floppy drives and I need to be able to take information home for my English class. I'm fairly good with computer hardware, but I just wanna know as much as I can before I start taking stuff apart. My old computer is a Sony Vaio. I bought it in 2002. I have already taken the harddrive from the Sony and installed it into the Gateway. Now, I want to take the floppy drive out of the Sony and put it into the Gateway. Any suggestions? What about getting a driver for the floppy drive once I install it into the Gateway?
Thanks,
Nick

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. It is indeed doable if your motherboard has a connection for a floppy drive. I checked at Gateway's web page at http://www.gateway.c...et_gt5252.shtml and could not tell from the information listed there. Perhaps you have a manual for the computer that will tell you. If all else fails, open the case and examine the motherboard. Look at your old computer and trace the cable from the floppy back to the motherboard. Then look at the Gateway motherboard. Do you find such a connector? If so, you are in business. If not, can not do it. However....you do have lots of usb ports. You can actually find external floppy drives that connect via usb. I have seen such devices at Walmart.

deerhunter30

deerhunter30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I will give it a shot. Thank you for your reply.