Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What would work

• Please log in to reply

Malikor

Malikor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I plan on upgrading my laptop sometime this year. I would like to upgrade the processor, memory and if possible, graphics card. My laptop is a Gateway MX6440. It has an AMD Turion 64 ML-32 1.8GHZ, ATI Mobility Radeon X300 (Express 200M) and 1GB of DDR333 RAM. Is it possible to upgrade any and/or all of these components? If so, would it overheat? The laptop runs pretty warm right now and I placed a cooling fan under it. The CPU runs at about 105 degrees F now. Thanks!

I attached a file that Everest created. It is a report of my computer.

Attached Files

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
yeah, dont try it. laptops are difficult to work with, and taking all that hardware out, (excluding the ram) is just a hassle. you might as well get a new laptop. but if you insist on upgrading, adding that hardware would raise the temp. a friend of mine has a custom cooling solution that works great. he took 3 fans from 3 desktop power supplies, hooked them to Lego K'nex (lol), and hooked that to a power supply. the fans continuously blow cold air under his laptop.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
actually, you can upgrade your memory if you want. There are normally openings on the underside of your laptop secured with a single screw. open them up one at a time til you find the one that has the memory. the memory should resemble something like the pic attached.

Here is a link to your specific type of memory:
http://www.newegg.co...R 333 (PC 2700)

Now, replacing is actually quite easy, if you have an empty slot then all you have to do is line up the memory at about a 45 degree angle to the slot, and gently push it in til it stops, then bring it down flush til you hear the clasps on the sides of the memory pop into place, then lightly push the memory into the slot if there is still room to move.

if you dont have any available slots, you can upgrade the 512's to 1Gb sticks simply by removing the 512's by gently pushing out on the clasps on either side of the memory until the RAM stick pops up into the air. pull it out and follow the steps for installing new memory above.

also a few other helpful hints:
Static Electricity is no good. make sure you ground yourself out well by touching a metal doorknob or something metal before performing this.
If your laptop does not post after installing the new memory, make sure you installed it properly first. then replace one of the sticks with a stick of 512, and see if it posts. if it does than theres a distinct possibility that the new 1Gb stick is no good. if it does not post, replace with the 1gb and replace the second 1gb with the 512. still no post, your laptop simply does not like the memory. rare, but it can happen.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20_141_067_09.jpg

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
ram is the only thing in a laptop thats worth upgrading.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
not true. ram is the only thing in a laptop that can be EASILY upgraded. there are plenty of things WORTH upgrading, if it's available or possible.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
lol, yeah, but in most of the laptops i've worked with (a riveting 3!!) just a ram boost dramatically improved performance, along with a better cooling system

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
the only thing Memory will do to the computer is allow for more processes to be ran at the same time. memory is not intended to "boost performance." it will not make your computer faster. Just allows you to run winamp with a plugin and a dvd burn on one screen while you work in photoshop and browse on your other screen with minimal lockup. etc etc...

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
my friends toshiba loaded crap faster and could multi-task, but another contributor to that was his custom cooling fan

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
yes, it will help windows load faster.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
hmmm.....i think we mightve gone a little off topic. oh well....