Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i bought my computer in 2000 and i feel that it is time to up-grade

as soon as some one tells me how to check the stats of the components i will post them

Advertisements

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
C'mon guys i know some one has looked at my post, i really need help

Dougger

Dougger

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Check out post #5 in this thread for the download link.

In general, since your machine is about as old as mine is, I know the options are limited. I would say look at adding more RAM. Depending on what socket you have you may be able to get a zippier cpu. I have the 'Slot 1' type, so I'm about done with cpu upgrades myself. Going the 'gut and change out' route.

But yeah, maybe use the app from that link, and also mention what deficiencies you're seeing now that you want to address with the upgrade. If it's a RAM issue, then that's your best bet, IMHO.

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanx, il do that and post the results

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have :
  • pentium 4 1.9GHz prosessor
  • 2-256MB sdd RAM
  • 300GB hard drive 7200-RPM 133MB/sec
  • nvidia GeForce Ti 200
plz :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your motherboard is too old to support any newer processors. Your ram is probably RDram and will not work in a new computer. Your hard drive, you must have installed later, because at the time your computer was built there were no 300 Gig HD's. It is probably the only piece of hardware you can use in a upgrade for your computer. Even the TI-200 card is way outdated.

If you have a good case and everything seems to work well you could possibly use a motherboard/CPU combo kit and a good video card and new memory to upgrade the computer. The real problem here is you may be able to find a brand new computer for a price close to that of the upgrade. This gives you all new parts. Lets look at a MB/CPU/RAM/VIDEO upgrade.

I'm doing this as a cheap upgrade so i'm not looking at Core2 Duo cpu's and that sort of thing.

MB/cpu combo- tiger direct intel 945P MB with a intel 830 3.0G cpu
$180 + $7 shipping

Memory - Newegg Crucial DDR2-667 memory
$135 + $5 shipping

Video card - a good but relative cheap card for non game computer operations.
newegg Albatron 6800GE GeForce 6800XT 256MB
$80 + $6

Now you have $413 worth of hardware you need to install in the computer. If you were to take it to a shop they would probably charge you $50-100 to install these. So you are already near $500 for a upgrade.

Or you can get one of these.

http://www.dell.com/...u...;l=en&s=dhs

http://www.shopping......nd multimedia

As you can see for only $100 or so more you can have a brand new computer. To most these factory computers would be enough. For me they are not and i prefer better hardware than they offer. The price i pay to build my own computers with the parts i want is around $1200 to $1500 for the tower alone. You make your own choice on what you want and need.

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i have :

• pentium 4 1.9GHz prosessor
  • 2-256MB sdd RAM
  • 300GB hard drive 7200-RPM 133MB/sec
  • nvidia GeForce Ti 200
plz :whistling:

Ram is basically the only thing worth doing for the pc. You could upgrade the video card but you dont need to but that would only help out in games and such.

Ram will make a big difference in applications up to a point because other stuff on your pc isnt quite fast anymore this day in time.

If you are looking for a big step above in overall performance then save up for a new pc with the latest technology.

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thx guys u made me finally realize need to gut and rebuild my computer