Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Complete AOL Removal

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello. Could someone give me step-by-step instructions on how to to completly remove AOL and all it's million hidden files from the computer and the registry. The OS is XP BTW.

I have googled this question and see to many different answers to be positive on how to approch this.

Thank you,

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Try this:

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry588214318

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks for the link, but it did not work (the program that is). Can someone else help please. Need to rid the computer of AOL 9.0 and ALL the files...and registry. Thanks

peace out,
daddy

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hello Daddy,

Only do this if you feel comfortable doing so....

Go to Start > Run and type regedit in the blank. Then click OK. In the left window highlight My Computer at the top.
Go to File > Export
Type in backup for the file name
Leave Save As Type as Registration Files (*.reg)"
Click in All in the Export range box (it should be already checked).
Place your file somewhere safe so you remember where you put it like maybe C:\My Documents.
Click Save and then go to File > Exit.
Ok, that'll take care of your backup in case you need it later. Now, let's deal with getting rid of the AOL from your current registry.

Next,
Go to Start > Run and type regedit in the blank. Then click OK.
When the Registry window opens, click Edit menu and then on Find.
Use "AOL" as a search term, (without the quote marks). When a reference is found, right-click on it, then choose Delete.
Go back to Edit. Click on Find Next or hit F3.
Keep doing so until you get a message that the search utility can't find any more references.
Repeat the process using "America Online" as a search term, again without the quotes.

That will remove AOL from your Registry.

Hope that helps! :whistling:

Jrenter2

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you Jrenter2! Awesome and I feel comfy doing that...BUT I still need to remove AOL from the computer. Just using the Add/Remove programs does not do it. It leaves files and folders everywhere. I know there is a program that does it, but I don't know where to find it. The one reffered to at the top of this thread did not work.

Once I get my hands on that, I am on my way :-)

Thanks again for the awesome instructions!

peace out,
daddy

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hey Daddy,

You're welcome for the above directions. As for the rest of AOL, I'm not aware of any program that will go out and find all the files that AOL installs. If you want, you could delete them all yourself really easy. Just do the same thing in the directories as you did in the Registry.

Go to Start, Search, File/Folders....
Type in America and search your C:\ drive...or whatever your system drive is.
It will list all the Amercia Online directories...just delete them all.

Then, do a search again with AOL in the box and search your C:\ drive...or whatever your system drive is.
This is will list all the AOL files...you will see files with WAOL as well...delete those too.

You will know which files belong to AOL by the names....

When you get them deleted out of there...empty your Recyle Bin.

Then you should be all clear of AOL files on your system.

If you still need help after this...let us know... :whistling:

Jrenter2