Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question About Dual Video Cards

• Please log in to reply

PohTayToez

PohTayToez

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Dual video cards is something that I have never looked into, and only realised that it was possible a little while ago. I am basically mystified as to how it works, and how I could do it. Does it only work with two of th same video cards, or can it be two different ones? Do they have to be the same type? Could I put a 128 MB PCIe and a 256 MB PCI card in the same machine? Does it double to performance? Basically, if would be great if someone could just explain the basics of having two video cards, that would be great.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Normally, dual monitors run from a single video card common to both monitors. Having dual monitors greatly expands your desktop which is usefull if you run lots of programs simultaneously.

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Before I got my new ATI X800XL card, I was running dual monitors with my onboard Nvidia graphics and an ATI 3D Rage Pro PCI card. Its tricky to set up, and unless your running XP it may not be compatable, I know it won't work in Vista.

I'm not on staff here, but if you submit some more info on your current hardware config, I can possibly help you set it up.

Quagmire_UK

Quagmire_UK

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
dual grapics cards have been out for some time. As i usually go for nVidia, i bought an SLi ready mobo. i had a 6600gt and wanted to upgrade my graphics and thought about using the Sli feature, however, after doing a little research i found that it wasnt worth it. i bought a single 7950gtx instead and the performance increase is far better than getting another 6600gt. it works by linking the 2 cards via a bridge, u will have an EZ chip that controls which GPU is used and what percentage, both cannot run at 100%, infact they run at about 70% each max when in SLi mode. not worth it unless, a) u already have an SLi mobo b) you havent got much money and another gfx card is reletavely cheap. oh, and u have to buy the exact same card again. EXACT same and nothing else//