Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How's your weather

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Just thought I'd share about the freaky weather we're experiencing. We live in the Upper Hunter Valley about 3 hours drive north of Sydney in Australia ... it's not out in the 'hot' lands!

This morning it was 38degrees (or 100) at 9.30am. At 1.00 pm it was 42 (or 108), and I just checked and it has come down to 41 (106) at 5.45 pm. It's not as hot as yesterday which was 44 or (111) mid afternoon! And these temperatures are taken in the shade on my back verandah. I'm surprised the fish in the pond are still alive - the water is mighty hot. :whistling:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Here in Northwest Ohio it hasn't snowed yet. We've been getting an unusual amount of rain, and many of the fields are flooded. There is mud everywhere else. Temperatures have rarely dipped below freezing, and always at night. Either we're in for a very mild winter, or we're gonna get hammered soon with six feet of snow.

I heard that el nino was to blame for the warm weather this year, and that a massive ice shelf (bigger than Manhattan) broke loose from Canada.
Johanna

Habu

Habu

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm in Anchorage, Alaska and although this winter started off slowly in terms of snowfall we've been getting dumped on lately and actually broke records last month... I wonder if this winter will end abruptly or drag on... :-P I know you all picture igloos and snow yearround when you think of Alaska but it actually melts at some point where I'm at... Haha. We've also been breaking record temperatures too... A few nights ago we were down around 20 something below zero. Then the winds kicked up and made it even worse! :whistling:

We're at that winter solstice time of year where daylight is like 5 hours or something... Days should be getting longer now though. :blink:

Edited by Habu, 12 January 2007 - 01:18 AM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Unreal .... Johanna, you're getting too much of what we desperately need. 98% of our state is declared severe drought. I've had to let my lawn go ... only the areas around the gardens are green (from watering the garden beds) - the rest is dirt and there's a lot of it. I figure I'll try and keep the plants alive (mostly low water kind anyway) and water them every second day, however, lots of them are stressing with leaves dying. It's such a shame. I noticed this afternoon in the garden that all the birds - parrots, finches, bluebirds, sparrows - are hanging out in the birdbath in the shade under a tree instead of their usual games of pecking order for the seed in the bird feeder.
We haven't had any rain for months. A couple of weeks ago it rained for almost a day just 5 kms out of town, but not a drop beyond. I lost four trees last summer and have lost three this summer and am desperately trying to save two that are not looking too good (tiny leaves and vary sparse). I wasn't that worried last summer because my garden has so many trees, however, now I'm starting to be a little concerned - in three or four years it might be looking a little bare! My Jacaranda flowered about two months ahead of usual time - I believe because it feels the need to make seed to ensure it's own survival!

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Habu ... that's like -29 celsius! That's incredible. Do you spend lots of time on the net cause it's dark outside most of the time? I know I'm spending more time on the net here cause it's too hot to go outside and do anything.

Edited by frantique, 12 January 2007 - 01:34 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Johanna's description is right on for me. I live just south of Chicago Illinois. The news said tonight that we have had more than 40 days of above average temperatures. :blink: It's been very warm for winter, and no snow at all, other than one light "dusting". Some areas in chicago and north got nailed once very badly with a lot of snow, which melted two days later.

When I was growing up, we had a TON of snow by now, and huge plowed drifts to play in. It seems like every year we get less. :whistling: I'm not minding the 50F degree weather, instead of below zero!

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I am from Montana. I just got home from work (which is partly outside) and according to weather.com it is currently -19F and feels like -32F. Sometimes I think I need a new job!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
well considering i live in winterpeg (aka winnipeg) its.......

Get ready for it........

-48oC.......(meaning skin will freeze solid in about 2-5 minutes if exposed)......during the day and gets colder during the night. Schools are closing in the rural areas because they can't keep them heated.
Its amazing that during the summer we see highs in the mid 40's.....i bet you we have the most extreme climate in the world.....it would explain the deterioration infrastructure.....
James

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Its been above average here in PA. I am not happy because I love being a little kid and going to play in the snow.. The coldest was like 18degrees but that was a little while ago.

Maybe its the global warming? I don't know I do not want to get involved in that. Just taking a wild guess

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm i the only one who hates the terminology of global warming(not that there is anything wrong with it, just it doesn't fit whats going on right now)? i think climate change suits the needs better....since we are shattering records all across the board, its hard to believe we beat a 123 year record 5 days ago, by reaching 5oC. And now sitting at -45oC
Your right johanna, a big ice chunk did break off...we had nice temperature, but now we are in for the cold.....AAAHHHH! I have also heard about el nino effecting the temperatures, but i thought that only happened every 4-5 years, didn't they explain the odd weather 2 years ago from el nino?
James

Edit: it seems you guys get the nice weather.....while we are in the next ice age.

Edited by james_8970, 12 January 2007 - 11:26 PM.

Advertisements

kh1+2

kh1+2

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
well i live in london, england and the only unusual weather weve had today is a spring like day in the middle of winter . (and loads of rain but that is just normal weather for over here)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
well, so much for the warm winter. It's bitter cold now (although not NEAR as bad as winterpeg *shiver*) and it's currently snowing. We were lucky and missed last night's ice and snow storm again. St Louis got nailed, as well as north of Chicago, we got nothing but more dang rain. :blink: It started snowing earlier, and the ground is now covered. My daughter doesn't want it to stop til school is called off tomorrow, so she'll get a FIVE day weekend instead of four. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:blink: why not come and check it out. Its really fun :whistling:
There was the annual polar bear picknic, meaing crazy people ate outside as a fund raiser at a local restaurant. Can't wait to get to Africa, its 30 in Senegal right now! 60oC difference.....or more....

Happy we missed the ice storm as well, people in eastern Canada got 2-3 inches of frozen rain! You guys over in the USA got it pretty bad to......WOW! Hope everyone gets by well thats stuck in this, and that the deaths stop. People push themselves to hard, or put work ahead of safety.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 January 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
aye, friends of ours in St Louis got nailed with the ice twice now. Only about 2 1/2 inches this time, but I'm thinking last time was over 4"?? I think that sounds right. Both times, the front passed to the west and north of me, so I'm thankful for that

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yah, crazy winter we are getting. But welcome to winter i guess. I love the snow, but hate the freezing rain, thats why i like where I live, temperature usually drop fast enough that we don't get much frozen rain.
The number one thing i hate about ice is the drivers......

James