Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How's your weather

• Please log in to reply

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

We can go to the Margaritaville restaurant - there's a waterslide from the top of the restaurant to the bay. And excellent margaritas.

:whistling: That's my dream come true, right there!! :blink:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
*warriorscot volunteers for this dangerous mission to the Bahamas.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
My bags are packed. Think I'll put my swimmers on and go sit on the roof for a while to get used to the height for the waterslide ... better take a cocktail up with me for a dress rehearsal!

kh1+2

kh1+2

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Wait a minute...the immediate Southern vacation sounds like a great idea...but do we really want to let dirty old men apply our suntan lotion??? Nope, I want some clean strapping young man, who knows nothing about women and is eager to please and learn...that rules out most of the guys on the board. I can hear Don now, "Okay, you're oiled. Get me another beer!"
Johanna

you rang :whistling:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:help: you could get all five of us arrested! Must be over 18, please :blink:

Here's some pictures of the blizzard here thus far...we're still having 40mph winds, and expecting another 5-6" before it's over with. :whistling:

Blizzard 2007

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I read in the newspaper today that some village in NYC has apparently 'set' a new world record by having the deepest snowfall ever recorded, apparently the snowfall has reached the depth of a double-decker bus! Now that's phenomenol! Here in central Scotland, if it snows, it rains straight after, so the majority of the snow disappears. Or the local authorities send out gritters to spread grit over the roads[and the pavements] - completely ruining my fun! :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the snow never lies, [bleep] micro climate its the north atlantic drift and the ochals that do it.

*warriorscot will be 20 this year and is completely legal, bags are packed ready for further orders.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Okay, we have an official blizzard here. There is probably 10 inches or so, but who can tell since it is blowing all around in drifts? The roads have been plowed a few times, but that lasts five minutes. I had the kids shovel the walk several times today (hey, I knew it wouldn't do any good, but it got them outside and out of my hair for awhile!) and it is still snowing. I can't believe we have power and cable (all our lines are still hanging off poles!) ~Johanna knocks on wood!~ School is canceled tomorrow, and I'm glad the pantry is stocked. The wind is whipping fiercely, but the house is old and sturdy. I feel sorry for the folks that do not have a warm bed for the night, and all the First Response Teams that have to be out tonight. I would hate climbing a telephone pole to string a new wire, too, so God bless the Electric Company guys...without them, we would all be cold and our pipes would freeze. The Natural Gas company has probably hired extra bean counters for their additional profits this month. December was pretty nice, and they "lost" a lot of money. This storm will make up for it.
Johanna

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
poor Johanna :whistling: It FINALLY stopped here, and the wind died down. We ended up with almost 14" according to the news. Half of one of my cars is literally buried, and the other one ain't going anywhere. My driveway is over 3 feet deep, from the winds.

I plan to get up early and get pics BEFORE they show up to plow, and I start digging us out

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Just curious, seeing as I never get to experience this kind of cold with snow and ice .... how do you keep the water pipes from freezing over? If they freeze you'd have no drinking water or would be unable to bathe or go to the loo!

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I grew up dealing with this....out in the country like I am now. I have a small heater in the bathroom and the door closed, so the toilet doesn't freeze. I have water dripping in the tub and sinks, as well. So far, we're lucky and nothing froze.
my parents live across the field from me, about a mile away. most of their pipes have now frozen :whistling:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
oh, also...I am always stocked up on bottled water. Worst case scenario if everything froze, I could melt buckets of snow in order to flush the toilet. We've had to before :whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Fascinating!! ... well, for me anyway!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Pipes are usually heavily insulated along with the whole house here in the winter in a newish home or one with good cavity installation(government pays to get most of it done) and most homes do in theory stay warm enough to prevent any kind of freezing here with very little heating but we do build our homes a bit sturdier than most places costs more but they last longer and are warmer. Most of the worst of the cold here comes from winds coming down from siberia so even though its not really that cold(thank you north Atlantic drift) the wind chill gets bad but that wont really cause pipes to freeze.

When i first went to america i was so totally surprised by the houses building a house out of anything other than brick is almost a totally foreign concepts here the wind and the rain a wood house doesn't last that long.

what you can also do if your temp in your toilet gets below freezing but not that much try sticking some salt in it(or any antifreeze type stuff works), should stop it from freezing as long as the temp doesnt go much more than a few degrees celsius under zero(about 24F) or using antifreeze you can let it go even lower good for keeping the toilet from freezing overnight..

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
The weather here in Finland is fine. Some snow here and there, at times pretty cold. But not bad at-all.

I'd hope for a bit more warm though. Hope spring comes soon. :whistling: