Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel - opening network documents

• Please log in to reply

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Anyone have any insight as to why when I am opening a network excel document, the folders under a specific directory would not be available to open? This only occurs if I am trying to open a document from within Excel. I get to a certain folder and all subfolders under that are not available. I can access the files through explorer, but this is somewhat annoying. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the properties on the network folder. Thought I'd rule out Excel first anyway if that's the case. Any input would be helpful. Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

Kathryn

Kathryn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Just an update - I figured out this issue. I am 99% sure it was a corrupt installation. I upgraded her to office 2003 and it was fine. I think just reinstalling office would have fixed it.

Pmcquoid

Pmcquoid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem....reinstall did not fix it.
User cannot open some files from a network share, using File Open in the office program (all office programs)
Client can access all files on her networked home directory. Client can access files in Explorer on the shared network drive, double click and open them in the program.

If client opens a file from the network share using the office program, she gets an error that the program will close.

Application Event log states there is a problem with shlwapi.dll